What would you do.

Descend into the randomness if you dare.

Re: What would you do.

Postby Therianwolf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:39 am

…1 in 10… ya I'll stick to my submerged city idea. Better odds and we only need to worry about external pressure. It's easier to push then it is to pull. We're talking about human life 1 in 10 isn't something you take, no one does not unless the alternative will always be riskier. Even if the entire world were shrouded in ashe we are still capable of producing power, growing plants and oxygenating an enclosed environment especially if we are talking about living in the ocean, electrolysis beeatch. But aside from that the power requirements to launch enough material into orbit to CREATE some spent of space ark just isn't possible within that time frame. We would first have to construct a space elevator because believe it or not it's actually FASTER to build one and use it to build an ark then it is to just ship everything up in rockets, this however will bring up the original issues or debris but for arguments sake lets just suppose it's got an infinite safety window… and I suppose let's also suppose that continent is able to construct their own as well and also have an infinite safety window which btw would never happen. It's an issue of politics and finances because yes even when the world is ending greed will still exist it's been proven, just ask the American government during the Cold War and their little… "experiments". Anyways back on track so every continent is SOMEHOW working together despite the fact that many religious extremists would sabotage the fuck out of some of those location, especially in Africa (you thought I was gonna say Middle East didn't you?). The next problem is material, again, multiple arks means a LOT of metal, lead, insulation, soil, air, water (and fresh water which isn't always easy depending on where you live, Africa I'm looking at you… again, man you guys have it rough). Add in animals… some, if people are desperate enough it may only be livestock for food. Planets will be easy. Last to board would be, ironically enough (is that irony? It's always hard to tell what the other word is suppose to be), humans because it's just sort of easier that way. So, life support… yah. That's gonna be a problem cause you see all the forests in the world are enough to generate the amount of oxygen we use, we have the ocean to thank for most of our air, the ocean and it's microscopic inhabitants. So we would not be able to ship all of humanity on ships which would probably result in a couple, if not all, of the ships being destroyed by jealous individuals who don't know why daddy big bucks gets to go yet their deceased probably gonna die anyways daughter can't go. But let's say one makes it (highly unlikely but this is a thought experiment and miracles… might happen. Then again seeing as how the moon is fucked and all life is pretty much fucked you may get a lot of convert to atheism). Ya that's right sentences within brackets, you got me to go down this rabbit hole you damn well better follow me. So one miraculously "launches" but with what? What power source? What engine? And where? Let's go in order then. Power… probably a combination of a few things to ensure redundancy and in case shit fails. The really vital stuff will run off RTG's cause nasa loves that shit cause it works, it's predictable and it's gonna LONG life span plus it helps heat shit up. Of course those alone won't be enough so we'll probably see a LOT of solar panels, still not enough plus those can get damaged or well a lot of other things cause they have to be exposed and currently we ARE in a dust cloud of soon to be shit. Hydrocarbons are out, you got limited air why would you fuck it up further. Nuclear reactors would probably be used… maybe but only if there is an immediate ejection system into the void just in case so while that COULD be the main reactor is sure as shit wouldn't be the only. The secondary power source would most likely by hydrogen fuel cells but not used not unless shit hits the fan… god even that doesn't work. There is no way to relay on those sources of power for a couple years let alone a few hundred or thousand it's just too much mass and zero point energy isn't anywhere need a real thing and even then that would simply be a good replacement for RTG's. It would have to be nuclear powered but god damn that would have to be a lot of mass… new plan. Mar's, ya ya I know but it's a better ark and the power supplies don't have to last as long. Land the ship in pieces cause it would have to be modular no way such a mass would be able to decelerate to land "gently" it would be too big and ANY "kink" of dent would be game over. So power problem solved, next propulsion, how to get to Mars? Ion is reliable and easy and compared to everything else, cheap. Not much reation mass needed. So ya… mar's it would have to be IF you leave earth and it would only be temporary. Eventually you launch as few seeding probs to earth once it's cooled enough get the process going on plant and bacterial life. Not too long don't want to arrive on earth to find those bacteria you sent mutated into something our immune can't fight off. The "ark" would have to stay in orbit when they first came to Mars, it might be salvageable for resources but that would be tricky. Once earth is back to being safe you would repeat the process on Mars you did to leave earth, this time you COULD "land" the ark, splash landing. So ya… I'll stick to my "build underwater city and wait it out" idea, quicker, easier and you can actually save ALL of humanity cause building what essentially amounts to "bio-dome" under water isn't that big of a deal in comparison. It would still be the greatest construction project humanity has even seen but in the time it would take to build a space elevators you would already have a couple of complete submerged cities done. Plus transporting additional stuff would be easier, no going up just across and then down.

There… you got me to indulge your reason for this threat. FEAR MY OVERLY ANALYTICAL AND EXTREMELY LOCIAL and maybe a little ocd MIND! This is how it works, this is how my mind runs EVERYDAY! Now it's 2:40am… I need to sleep god damnit now I've got theoretical propulsion on the mind FUCK!
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Therianwolf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:46 am

………ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAIN!?
ARE!
YOU!
NOT!
ENTERTAIN!?
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Lightmoore » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:50 pm

wow big winded comment :smile:

I agree with you on a lot of what you said, Build underwater. Hell build anywhere you think you can be safe.

Much easier to build in deep Caves and underwater. When has the Human Race done thing easy. Remember this is a book I am talking about "Seven Eves: by Neal Stephenson" I lesson to books when I drive so I don't always get everything they say. Dame those drive throw windows. Anyway Space Elevators didn't even come up, not sure is Mr. Stephenson just doesn't know enough about them to add them to his book or didn't care enough. I used 1 in 10 as example more then a fact in the book. Yes I am not sure how you would get different parts of the world to work together seemed far fetched to me also. We are talking about the end of the world as we know it. Once you get your peeps into space how do you keep the different factions from going after each other long enough to really build something worth living for? As it turns out some of the Peeps decide on a Mars trip and landing after the "POTUS" figured out a way to be launched up on one of the last ships. O and it was on an X-37B no less. She is being a pain in the ass for the crew that runs this whole show. I would of Spaced Her 5 min after I know she was there. If I could of used the X-37B for a shuttle between the other ships I would of kept that instead. BTW No Gov's of the world were to send any of there leaders up. You and I know better there are a lot of leaders that would find some way to do it.

I would do what ever I could to help but I have no hope of ever making it into a ship to space or an underwater/ground safe zone so in the end it really wouldn't mater to me.
Lightmoore

Postby Tason5 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:30 pm

When I first came across this post and its question I didn't say anything as I'm pretty darn sure what would happen.

More then likely nothing but failed attempts. Sorry, I just don't see our world and its people successfully coming together to build this, not even the underwater one, without a lot of issues. Or at least not one for more then just those rich/powerful types only and the few highly intelligent people who are usually (depends on there mental/personality states) among a solid choice as they'll be needed more then likely to keep things running.

I very highly doubt many if any of the common people, even highly intelligent ones would have a good chance of landing a spot in either water or space situations. And I think everyone can easily agree that many people of certain beliefs and ideals would strive to gut any and every single thing they could for who knows what reason. That's not including those who'll do it just to screw things up or for money. Or simply in an attempt to forcefully acquire a spot in them.

The space one, not a chance. Not unless we have several long years in which to simply think about it, then actually consider it, then start building ideas of how to go about doing it, then even more years figuring out where all the materials would come from....let alone who if anyone we would try to work together with to carry this out with.....a few nations could possibly be able to come about and do this....at certain personal costs of course (confirmed spot in them for sure for certain influential people). The space idea, with our current technology and national problems....yeah I VERY highly doubt it has a chance in high hell of succeeding even a tad bit without a very large number of years...I'd point at a minimum of 50-100 years at least, don't see anything shorter being long enough for every thing that would come about being solved by then let alone actually getting it done. Crying slightly now just thinking what those actually doing the grunt ground work would be going through now let alone further down the road as time runs out.

The water idea.........best chance we'd have right now. Have the technology, knowledge, and experience to actually get this one carried out quite quickly and get enough of it done to have room........although by the time the upper crust of the world if done filling it up there may very well be little left for the lower crust of people to try for. As anyone can easily guess.

Yeah, space I'd say not a chance without a Massive time line to work with. Water, oh yes. This one would be very much practical for us right now and actually possible.

For anyone that'll likely ask, no I don't have a.....coughing....clue what all this would entail but simply using common sense one builds up in society and what materials we appear to have available right now, which only continue to drop as more time passes, add in what things seem to be like throughout the world (no, I do not have a solid idea but some slight ideas of the situations in the world, sorry for those this ticks off in regards to me actually responding) and I just don't see any idea but the water one having even a slight possibility.

Best chance of actually surviving this event would be to run with the water one, build some spaceships for the 'sol' (can't remember this words exact correct word form so likely wrong on it) purpose of setting some things in motion in regards to Mars in order to make it more possible of bringing about some sort of terraforming long term, or at least getting something set up that can slowly start taking in people. Of course this is only if it would be possible to start slowly getting people transported via space which clearly would mean getting them out of earths atmosphere.....and then slowly transferred to Mars. If the water idea succeeds and thus gives us time, and things show themselves to not be improving in any kind of time frame that would enable the water ideas to last, then slowly working towards the space idea would then likely be our best chance, which we would have a much larger time frame with the water domes keeping our people alive while we do so. A stone beep for sure to try and carry out though.

Going to stop, feel like I'm just starting to go off target and hence will stop with this....going to recheck it real quick then just hit post and see how anyone responds to it. Sorry for any errors in the build of sentences, I'm severely rusty in regards to nice and solid writing of long things like this.
Tason5

Postby Vindicator » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Such detailed posts. Since I have no clue about science i would just launch the entire plantery nuclear arsenal in space and focus production on more nukes and surviving a really bad nuclear winter. At worst we get an awesome fireworks display based on previous space nuke detonation tests
Vindicator

Postby Sypheria » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:14 pm

If text goes over 2 lines without any spacing, I don't read it.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Therianwolf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 am

Sypheria wrote:If text goes over 2 lines without any spacing, I don't read it.

I'll sum up my post. Underwater, Mars or bust and a bunch of hubbub that basically says anything else wouldn't work

Plus a really clever gladiator reference that NO ONE BOTHERED TO REPLY TO OR EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE!
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby gary492 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:40 pm

honestly It wouldnt be worth it, I would be like "screw it, its over"
Need a new gaming laptop? Gaming laptops guide has everything you ever wanted.
gary492

Postby Lord Tyrius » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:51 am

That would mean caos and mayhem, at that point people woudl likely kill each other before the catastrophe does.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Lord Tyrius

Postby Therianwolf » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:12 pm

It's unfortunate to, cause humanity working together is capable of some remarkable feats and if the impossible were to ever happen and humanity did somehow come together in the end I have no doubt that our species would easily survive anything short of something the full power of a star
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Previous

Return to Off Topic