What would you do.

Descend into the randomness if you dare.

What would you do.

Postby Lightmoore » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 am

An object hits the Moon and breaks it up into 7 chunks, which it turns out will continue to break up till there is a ring around Earth and then this will turn into a "Hard Rain" that will destroy everything not a mile or so below ground. So you can either build really deep or move off Planet. You have 8 billion(less everybody under 12,the very old, weak, and just plan unusable) people to work with, today's tech and two Years to get every thing you need to survive. How many Live Bodies do you think we could get into space. Then how do you keep them alive. It will be something like 10.000 years before the Hard Rain is over.

Here is my short list of ways to get supplies to space. Rockets for people, Rail Guns for hardened supplies, Planes with rocket boosters(low earth orbit) also people movers and light supplies.

supplies: Air, Water, Food, Energy (fuel and elect.), Meds, building supplies, Other gases needed for different Tech.
Lightmoore

Re: What would you do.

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:04 am

Question, if we're talking about a ring then wouldn't the poles be the safest place? Also if the planet has some much debris flying around it wouldn't it be near impossible to escape? Seems to me the quickest and safest thing to do is to go live "unda da sea". Debris falling from the sky at high speed would hit the surface of the water, shatter and loose almost all their momentum on impact. Since it isn't one large piece the impact will be distributed across the entire ocean damping any sort of shock wave. Depending on where you submerge your city there can be geothermal energy, electrolysis for oxygen and hydrogen as a second fuel/energy source. Food isn't an issue because we are already capable of producing artificial light to grown crops within a contain environment but as stated earlier poles will be safeish and so converted into two giant green houses of a sorts. This gives us enough time to construct space elevators at the poles for anything we still wish to do in space since the poles and submerged cities will eventually be too small for us.
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Lightmoore » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:57 pm

when the Hard Rain starts it drops rocks every where. there may not be as many hits on the poles but we are talking still 1000s of hits a day even there. We are talking about rocks from pea size up to foot ball field size. Its a total white out of the sky and with 10.000+ years of this it will heat up all the water of the seas and I don't want to end up like a lobster do you.
Lightmoore

Postby Lord Tyrius » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:31 am

Rocks that small would probably not be able to get into the lower atmosphere. I would suggest everybody takes a day off and enjoys the shooting stars. Then we all return to the usuall: Destroying the planet that we live on.
The problem is not so much the "hard rain" it's the absence of the moon that will destabilize our orbit. When earth goes off into deepspace almost all life on it will be gone.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby Lightmoore » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:51 am

its not the fact that they are small its the fact that there are 10s of 1000s of them a day. each one produces heat and when you have that much heat it accumulates. This will go on each day! for about 5000 years(thought it earlier said 10,000) then it has to cool off and life has to restart, so it might be as much a 10,000 years before we could go back. so there will be no worries about us doing anymore damage to the Earth. Nature has a way of handling pests like us an the good old Earth has and will be around for a long time. With or without us.
Lightmoore

Postby Sinuhe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:26 am

I did some math - the volume of the moon (2,2 x 1010 km³) raining down earth over 10000 years would mean that every hour about 980 "footballs" could hit earth, per km2.

life like we know it would be impossible.

I would just lean back, and enjoy the fireworks :)
Sinuhe

Postby Therianwolf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:14 am

Sinuhe wrote:I did some math - the volume of the moon (2,2 x 1010 km³) raining down earth over 10000 years would mean that every hour about 980 "footballs" could hit earth, per km2.

life like we know it would be impossible.

I would just lean back, and enjoy the fireworks :)

We talking football sized when they hit the earth or football sized in orbit? Cause that would have two VERY different outcomes. One would be 10000 years of constant light show, the other that dooms day scenario that this thread was suppose to be about. I still say going unda da sea would be more viable. Trying to get into space with that much debris would be like trying to dance across a firing range with a trillion bullets flying around from almost every direction. It's not difficult to construct suitable habitats for only a few meters below sea level and even then there are locations where the ocean floor is at that depth. Unlike the surface where crators and impacts can slowly strip away your subterranean cities earth defence the ocean will never have crators. Also as the planet heats up your defence will only grow stronger as the water lever rises. Of course there is pressure to consider but it's workable. Could even technically move back to much of the land that we would have left behind as sea levels increase. Then 10000 years later when the earth cools again the sea will recede and our cities will just return to the surface without no effort on our part
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Lightmoore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:07 am

space is big, there is a lot of room up there once you are above the moons orbit you wont see nearly as many "boll eye" as they call them. and again its more like 5000 years of Hard Rain and about another few 1000 years of recouping of the Bio Systems. So when Sinuhe did the math it should of been twice as bad. One plus is that The Arkers were able to get a big ball of Ice to make fuel out of and when the moon broke up one big piece of it was the core with a lot of Metals that could be used for building. At this point in the book they still have a complete Gnome of the Human race and tools to use it. You can set back and watch the fireworks, along with 8 billions other an I am sure that id be there to but we can save some of us and we would give it one hell of a try. If that means building underground complex's or underwater ones and even into space we would try them all.
Lightmoore

Postby Lord Tyrius » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Actually I have to agrre with Therians point about not being able to go to space: Some of the chunk that earlier missions left behind in the atmosphere already makes it necessary to calculate a time window/route a spaceship has to take in order to leave the planet. With a huge amount of rocks up there I doubt there would be a hole to slip through.
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby Lightmoore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:29 pm

ok lets back track a little, 1. there are only 7 large pieces of the moon to start with(lot of small pieces). 1a. these pieces will stay close to the old moons center of mass until they get a lot smaller. Then turn the moon into a very large cloud of big and small pieces. 2. it will take a little longer then 2 years for the moon to break up and fall into a tight enough orbit to start falling in the form of the "Hard Rain" it was really per the book something like 700 days if I remember right and it took another big force to really get it going. 3. yes they had some fall out before the end and yes they lost ships when they were launched. 4. if you know your going to lose 1 in 10 of the ships you send up you sent up a 1000 ships you still get 900 ships up. so if you are able to sent up 20000 ships up you still end up with a lot of ships in space.

not including what you can launch with Rail guns (again just for supplies)and any other way you could come up with to make it up the Gravity Well.
Lightmoore

Next

Return to Off Topic