Beyond Dark seems an awful lot like Novus Aeterno

Descend into the randomness if you dare.

Beyond Dark seems an awful lot like Novus Aeterno

Postby Lord Tyrius » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 am

User AardesRevenge just dropped this on the Novus Aeterno reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/novusaeterno/c ... ike_novus/

And indeed Beyond Dark looks an awful lot like novus (check this out https://beyonddark.net/beyond-dark-revolutionising-space-strategy-genre#more-160 "So what is Beyond Dark?" part)

They claim to be "Revolutionising the Space Strategy Genre" with an MMORTS.

And check this out, directly from their frontpage:

Code: Select all
What is Beyond Dark?
Beyond Dark is a space strategy game set in the world's largest in-game universe with millions of planets to explore. Each galaxy has a unique history defined by the thousands players who fought and allied in the race for survival and domination.

In this unique experience offering real-time gameplay in a universe that never sleeps, players can set their plans in motion and watch them unfold over minutes, days, months and years. Will you dominate through military might and epic battles, or will you thrive on diplomacy and trade?

Massive Online Persistent Galaxy
Largest Space Strategy game ever
Command Colossal Fleets
Compete with Thousands of players
Use Military might, Diplomacy and Trade
Design Ships, Explore, Research Tech
Build your own Vast Empire

They even have DIME apart from the Intelligence part :P

I'll keep an eye on it, seems like Novus niche genre got more crowded.

EDIT:
I just saw they also claim to be the first "real" Space Strategy MMO (https://beyonddark.net/faq#first-rts-mmo)
While you read the FAQ you can't help but wonder about all the similarities, from the payment model to the ship customization. :ugeek:
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Re: Beyond Dark seems an awful lot like Novus Aeterno

Postby Mered4 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:39 pm

It honestly seems super sketchy to me. Haven't seen anything beyond the initial trailers and samples.
Mered4

Postby Therianwolf » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:01 pm

I'm not finding anything related to this company "IDA games" and if you look at the comments on their Facebook page people who registered haven't gotten anything back, not even an acknowledgement that they're application for the beta has even been received. I'll admit I'm biased and i want to bare my teeth and growl at this other game that looks too much like Novus but it is always possible, however unlikely, that two companies could be in development of the exact same concept… that being said I know there have been employees for Taitale before who no longer are now and that does sound off alart bells for me. Not only all that but… Taitale had to go to Kickstarter because footing the bills themselves wasn't cutting it. I went digging and unless this is some new division of IDA pharmacy (which would be weird and concerning) the only possibility for this company is IDA Ireland which is an investment firm I think… and that's only because I found an article on their site from 2011 expressing admiration for the profit potential of video games. If it's not them… then I have a valid concern for the personal information of anyone who signed up for their beta. And even if it turns out to be a legitimate game I still have some concerns about the sources of their assets
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Sypheria » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:01 am

They are running Unity, their stars are the exact same we use.

I don't really think they have much.
It's very simple to make a client, say it can support thousands of players, and not give anyone access to it; but it's very difficult and requires highly specialized individuals to make a server which can actually support that claim.
Unless they have been working on it for quite a while without showing anything, I doubt it supports many players if any at all.
What they do have may possibly be scripted for the video.

No previous employee of Taitale would have the capability of making such a server system.

They do say its a hybrid RTS and TBS but don't indicate anywhere how TBS is used.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Lord Tyrius » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:22 am

I felt very similar. I signed up just to stay up to date, but not with my primary email.
I also researched "IDA Games" as they claim several times to have developed reputable RTS games already, not finding anything about them makes that claim and therefore the legitimatally of the company look very scetchy.

What doesn't fit into the scheme however is that they say they won't take any money/kickstarter before the game is in beta state and the "fans" got to see the state of the game. Usually I would expect them to take money/preorders as soon as possible :P

They earliest stuff is from 2015, so indeed they shouldn't have much yet (if ever).
In their terms of service (yeah I read that shit) they refer to the website "http://www.idagames.com/" which also mentions the investment firm style.
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Return to Off Topic