Beyond Dark

Descend into the randomness if you dare.

Beyond Dark

Postby darkae » Sun May 01, 2016 2:43 pm

lots of buzz about this game Beyond Dark and another on Steam called Stellaris but Beyond Dark looks the most promising so far IMO.. if you do some digging you can find quite a bit of information.. i believe they plan on releasing a beta quality early access some time this year

it is a project you will want to follow if you are an MMORTS (space) person like me

cheers ya trolls
darkae

Re: Beyond Dark

Postby Lord Tyrius » Sun May 01, 2016 3:05 pm

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14735
I'll be there when the beta starts.

Haven't heard of it other than this post on reddit tho, so the "buzz" went right by me.
Haven't heard of Stellaris either, but Paradox is a publisher I've had good games come from, I'll add it to my watchlist.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby Shadows » Sun May 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Personally, I think Novus will be the best of any mmorts that is released... I have a feeling Beyond Dark will be the first to the punchline, for some reason I thought I saw June somewhere. In fact, I believe some have access currently to the game right now. In Novus Aeterno the game may not be there, but the planning has been in place for so long, and if there's anything I can tell from the Beyond Dark development... it's not very structured.

Who knows maybe Beyond Dark's release will cause an increased interest in investing in NA :)

If indeed true, No Man's Sky... Beyond Dark... big month for games I'm interested in.

Saw Stellaris on the Star Citizen forums a long time ago, but didn't realize it was a MMO. Thanks for that! Seems like that one will be launching May 9th, no?
*oops, that's because it's not! I will continue to keep an eye on it though :P
Shadows

Postby ante185 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Stellaris is not a MMO, but it is a 4X grand strategy game like Civ, Europa universalis and so on
Insert some quote here
ante185

Postby Hollow » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 pm

yeah Im in on the Beyond Dark game, here is a basic description of how it plays.
you start with a single planet, a transport ship, a few supplies that get you started on settling your solar system.
you are able to manage your empire from a drop down menu where you click on each planet allow effective management of a vast empire. The game is great in that it doesn't have FTL so holding onto a large area actually takes careful fleet placement. if your empire is too large you will wind up in a situation where you are losing a solar system and the nearest fleet is an hour away real time. It has a tech tree that you research that goes on for a long time. the combat is cool as you command your fleets just like in any 4x game.
Diplomacy effects you every second of every day, you will need to keep buffer states between you and other larger powers and if they get attacked you will have to reinforce them to keep in them in the game.

Downsides

you can be wiped out during your sleep if you don't belong to an alliance that can defend you. very slow advancement it takes awhile just to get your solar system going before you even think about building an empire.
Hollow

Postby Therianwolf » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:19 am

So it's the counter strike of this genre. Sure you can pick it up and play but unless your hardcore into it your gonna end up giving up pretty fast
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Lord Tyrius » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:19 am

I don't like the counter strike comparison, so many kiddos playing that. I feel like what you said applies a lot to strategy games like star craft or hearts of iron, can't get into it, don't even know where to start.
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby Therianwolf » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:44 pm

I was trying to say that this seems more for a hardcore audience, a group of people that understand that there is no hand holding and that shit takes time. Civ players would probably love it. That slow methodical planning 10 turns ahead of everyone
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Hollow » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:33 am

The game is designed to be hard in managing a large expanse. But a person who can login a couple of times a day and manage to make it. as moving fleets and capturing planets takes awhile. If you have 2 players each with 50 planets the war could literally take weeks before one player is defeated.

an example

you have a fleet and you want to invade your neighboring solar system the travel time to get there is 2 hours, so you launch it and que up another fleet to build to replace any of your loses. you finally arrived and engage in a fleet battle and you win, now you have to move in your battleships to take down planetary defenses. you will lose a few ships attempting to take out orbiting forts and planet based missiles. Once all those large targets are out now you have to launch a land invasion. The taking of a single planet can be hours of battles if properly defended giving the defending player enough time to log on and send messages to his allies and prepare a counter fleet. so the attacker got the surprise in and had 12 hours to take the solar system, well as this much time has passed the defender now sends the bulk of his forces to that system and with all the planets recently conquered they don't have any defenses up so he can recap his system in an hour and invade the attackers system.
Hollow

Postby Lord Tyrius » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:14 am

Seems like people like me who have a few hours a day to play (at set times after work/school) will have a hard time? Because yit woul dbe better to log in shortly several times a day.

Don't know how the same applies to Novus, I'll have to see...
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Next

Return to Off Topic