Removing posts (NOT about NA)

Descend into the randomness if you dare.

Removing posts (NOT about NA)

Postby Shadows » Tue May 03, 2016 8:34 pm

There has been a fair amount of dissent towards Novus Aeterno by some people, and I am most definitely glad you guys do not delete posts! Had a bad run in with an indie developer that I sincerely respected prior to this day.

I'm glad you guys don't do this :)

Apparently I suck with images, haha... here's a link.

http://imgur.com/O1EukRq

I went as far as creating a massive thread about Project Gorgon on other forums such as Star Citizen, and this is how I am repaid. Awe well, you win some you lose some. Just wish I never supported them.
Shadows

Re: Removing posts (NOT about NA)

Postby Lord Tyrius » Wed May 04, 2016 6:16 am

The [img] tag requires the direct address of the image file (rightclick copy image address or similar).
I'm also happy with the way the devs handle this topic. They have shown that they are open to suggestions and value people's opinions.
And even if they don't share them they won't censor them without a good reason. (Because there are always exceptions, where you can't tolerate something)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Lord Tyrius

Postby Sypheria » Wed May 04, 2016 8:12 am

Only thing we delete is spam.
Although we do move topics from general or w/e to off topic if appropriate.
Sometimes we might slightly edit a community rep's post if its incorrect. (They don't work for us and sometimes have wrong/outdated info or misunderstand something)

I no longer control when updates or official posts come out so I can't really quell the dissent; however, one thing to consider is negative posts have a detrimental impact on indie team's moral which in turn hurts productivity.
Psychology shows that we remember and take more to heart negative things even if most things are positive.
Many of our team members no longer visit the KS page or even the forums, even though the forums are mostly positive, to avoid this effect.
Most indie teams are working for less than minimum wage at a job vastly more demanding than simply putting condiments on burgers; the same job in the AAA industry pays from 30k to 250k a year depending on the role.
What I do personally is 200k- 250k USD a year at an employer like Blizzard, with far less responsibilities than I have.

So while there is Kickstarter fatigue and long project fatigue for backers, there is also "backer fatigue" for developers that I think most people don't consider.
We have major cases of this with Phil Fish and Bear Simulator guy, but I think people taking a few days off to recuperate or silently abandoning a project are more common results of this.

Then again, people in the KS comments don't really want to come to the forums which is were you do get those unofficial posts from myself.
That may or may not be what they are looking for.
I have noticed that some of the people there come on once a month and copy and paste the same text to 15+ projects.
I don't know whether they would actually read a response in the comments.
If someone posts messages to the comment wall instead of a direct mail message, to me that indicates they want to raise some noise rather than actually have their issues addressed. (Which may or may not be their intent)
A comment on a medium public wall (KS, FB), or a tweet directed as someone feels very impersonal.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Shadows » Wed May 04, 2016 9:40 am

Very well put, I definitely agree that many people don't consider the ramifications of their posts... in fact, I overlook such things at times as well. However, removing dissent is far different than removing posts about supporting another game in their fruition. I did the exact same thing* for Project Gorgon across various gaming sites... (possibly even here, I can't recall). I proceeded to ask the developer why my original post was removed; as I was only bringing light to a game that needed support much like Project Gorgon back in the day. He then banned me, without answering my question... I was fully prepared to let it go at that point, if I received a well constructed answer. However, he decided to take the low road. I sent them an e-mail asking if they had to say anything about such actions... didn't receive a reply. Therefore, I was left with no choice but to put it up on their Kickstarter page the only place that I could still post that was related to Project Gorgon. I imagine they will never respond to my e-mail, which is a shame... Project Gorgon IS a good game, I just can't support their development team anymore.

I then saw correlations to how easily you guys could simply remove posts and quell the rage that surfaces every now and then on these forums. Thought I'd just say I respect that, it just shows how strong of a team you guys really are, even if it doesn't feel like it at times.

*thing being attempt to garner support for another game. It's crucial to bring support from various gaming communities into a game, and most of the games I have supported were due to this occurrence. Whether I hear about it through people on Star Citizen, here, the Face of Mankind community, and so forth it allows a wider audience to gain access to something may not have had prior.

Edit:
I should also state, I am not attacking their programming skills. They are phenomenal at what they do! Project Gorgon is a great game, that separates itself from many of the common MMO themes we see today. I just don't support the removal of posts, whether they are about helping out a fellow dev team... or kicking up dissent. Everyone deserves to relate their feedback. Granted, there is a point where posts need to be removed and locked... but not if it revolves around constructive criticism and discussion.
Last edited by Shadows on Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadows

Postby Sypheria » Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am

That's kind of different.

We, as many other forums do, remove blatant advertising for another product.
But we don't remove stuff that's like "Hey guys, check out this cool space game I found; really neat!"
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Shadows » Wed May 04, 2016 9:50 am

Sypheria wrote:That's kind of different.

We, as many other forums do, remove blatant advertising for another product.
But we don't remove stuff that's like "Hey guys, check out this cool space game I found; really neat!"

I suppose it could have been seen as advertising, and if they had told me that upon me messaging them... I would have let it go. However, they ignored my PMs and kept removing my posts that asked for answers. Furthermore, I presume they are ignoring my email as well. There's a certain level of professionalism that is missing from that development team... not from a developing standpoint, but from interacting with the masses and such.

I'm glad you guys are down to earth with the people ;)
Shadows

Postby Sypheria » Wed May 04, 2016 9:59 am

Being that you don't work for the other game, I wouldn't consider that advertising; you're just a guy that found a cool game you want to share with others.
So that sounds pretty ill-intent on their part.

As for a more general, devs not being very good at interacting with the masses...
I think many people with Asperger Syndrome gravitate towards indie game development.
I have it myself, and I know a couple people on the forums that also have it.
They are generally not very good with communication or social skills in the first place and the medium further complicates things.
Nick often has to "translate" what I mean to the team and we are all in the same Skype call together.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Return to Off Topic