Solar Defence Ship

Do you think you could make Novus Aeterno better then us? Let us know, you might actually get something out of it!

Solar Defence Ship

Postby ante185 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:46 am

While I was working on a unimportant project I read up on HSwMS Sverige, a coastal defence ship constructed at the end of world war 1 and served past world war 2. Now you might wonder what makes this ship, which was rather small at 120m length, relevant to this suggestion? Well Sverige and every other coastal defence ships were all very well armed and armoured ships compared to their size and draft. their draft, which is how deep a ship sits in the water allowed them more freedom when navigating the shallow home waters, I think you might be figuring where I'm headed with this now. The tendency of ocean going ships to have higher drafts meant that their larger ships who could outgun the coastal defence ships were limited to very predictable movement paths and those who had low enough drafts were outgunned by the coastal defence ships.

Now when you know where coastal defence ships were effective and why they would be effective you can probably imagine that the suggestion is to implement that into the game, obviously replacing coastal with solar and introducing some mechanic that makes it needed (the details of that I don't need to go in on as they can cause too much discussion). A solar defence ship, or rather hulls, intended to defend a solar system should counter the previously mentioned mechanic while also being more armoured and able to carry better weapons at the expense of speed and space fairing and combat ability in-between solar systems. The Solar Defence Ship hulls would be a cruiser archetype and capable of 1v1 with a cruiser with decent odds.
Realised something about myself, caused me a personal crisis and gave me w new hobby. Now I need how to draw fml
ante185

Re: Solar Defence Ship

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 am

Huh? So what a corvette with high defensive and offensive capabilities? From what I can see nothing is really stopping you from doing that already so long as you have the components to do so. Probably better just to get something like a dreadnaught, and not include a lot of components to save the cost and instead focus on offensive and defensive.
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Lord Tyrius » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:23 am

^ Hulls are not designed for a specific purpose. They are fully modular, and it's capabilities depend solely on the components you put on it.
There will be more variations of the hull types than we have now, and also far more components.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby ante185 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 am

A "Solar Defence Ship" hull would be just another hull type at the cruiser size, like the Mk1 and Mk2's of the hulls we had before just named differently. In essence compared to a Mk1 hull a Mk1 SDS hull would be able to carry a few primary weapons heavier than the mk1 along with about the same number of guns in the other weights. it would be significantly slower due to a higher mass, partly from its armour and partly from the ability to carry better weapons and fewer engine slots. in the OP i talked about some kind of mechanic, or rather i suggested that there needed to be a kind of mechanic to warrant an up armoured and up armed 'cruiser' like this. this mysterious mechanic should really only affect larger ships (after the cruiser we have the battleship and the dreadnaught right?) be it by either littering solar systems with debris that they need to stay clear of or by making corridors that they a forced to move along due to some stuff, but that's only to put the hull into perspective more than suggesting a new game mechanic.
Realised something about myself, caused me a personal crisis and gave me w new hobby. Now I need how to draw fml
ante185

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 pm

This whole thread can be answered by what tyrius said but this thread has given me an idea (not sure if it's already a factor). Weight. Weight in space is pointless except for two points, thrust (breaking and accelerating) and escape velocity… even heat mitigation. If weight or mass isn't a factor already that might be an idea worth considering. It will also satify the purpose of this thread
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby ante185 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Sure, I guess that's more thee point of the thread actually. I originally titled it something like inter-solar VS intra-solar. I guess I just got distracted heh
ante185

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:57 pm

You know what, I like this. I got an idea for how it can work. Sure you can go all complicated like amoured core from the ps2 era but there's no need for anything that complicated. Rather how about a grade system? Simple 1 - 10, 1 meaning it's lightest and 10 meaning it's heaviest. Items with a weight grade of 5 means no change, anything lower and the speed is increased in whatever form and 6 up means speed is decreased. I've simplistic sure but if anyone likes the idea and want to suggest more complicated variables eh
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby ante185 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:05 am

That'd be a bit opposite to what I'm thinking. Space combat seems to always be somewhat based in WW2 naval tactics and comparably space outside of solar systems would be blue ocean were battleship could be truly effective while space inside a solar system would be like inland seas were you'd be very predictable in your movement if you bring anything larger than a cruiser. Which'd mean it's size related more than weight.
ante185

Postby Lord Tyrius » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:18 am

Smaller ships could be made less affected by the influences of stars or something, taking less damage from heat/gravity.
It'd be fun to be able to hide small ships near the sun, where enemy scanners are blocked by radiation, or flee from a capital ship because it can't go as near to the sun.
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby ante185 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:15 am

Stuff like that yea, a solar system [in game] should be the home of asymmetric and guerrilla warfare like inland seas would be in naval war, we just need stuff that give the same effect as shallow water and numerous islands so replace those with something spacey.

Here's an bit from wikipedias page on coastal defence ships (the type of ship that spurred me to make this thread)
"The Pansarskepp, with the notable exception of the Sverige class, were relatively small vessels with limited speed, shallow draft, and very heavy guns relative to the displacement. They were designed for close in-shore work in the littoral zone of Scandinavia, and other countries with shallow coastal waters. The aim was to outgun any ocean-going warship of the same draft by a significant margin, making it a very dangerous opponent for a cruiser, and deadly to anything smaller. The limitations in speed and seaworthiness were a trade-off for the heavy armament carried. Vessels similar to the Swedish Pansarskepp were also built and operated by Denmark, Norway, and Finland, all of which had similar naval requirements."
Pansarskepp is "coastal defence ship"
ante185

Next

Return to Game Suggestions and Website Feedback