[Suggestion] Population Management

Do you think you could make Novus Aeterno better then us? Let us know, you might actually get something out of it!

[Suggestion] Population Management

Postby AngeredZeus » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm normally pretty quiet and just browse around on the forums but came up with a little idea I would like to share. The examples I give may not be the best, but I plan to modify and add more. Not sure if this has been suggested before and these are my initial ideas. Suggestions are much appreciated! I will clarify this soon when I have a bit of free time! :grin:

Variables that Determine what Happens on your planets:
*NOTE: All of these are "Variables" subject to change, these would all be controlled by how well you manage them e.g. changing or adding facilities or moving resources around ect. *
Amount of Resources
Happiness of your citizens (proportional to amount of resources, economy, war, and science level)
The planets Economy which is determined what facilities you place on the planet
The Science Level of your planet (sort of like education of your planet's population)
Amount of War the planet is involved in
Ingenuity (rate of discovering new technology)
Planet Condition is how well all of these factors are positively affecting your planet

Population Disasters and Effects:
So let's say you have colonized a solar system and you now have complete dominion over this region. Your planets are flourishing, resources are plentiful, and population is rising. As the population density of your planet rises, some factors may begin to affect your population.

1.) Diseases, perhaps an outbreak of a virus on one of your planets, spread throughout the populous of your homeworld. A disease would be very rare and dependent on economy, amount of war, and the science level. If a planet continuously needs cures for diseases you might want to deploy more science facilities on that planet to increase the rate of cures and decrease the chance of getting a disease. You have to develop a cure yourself or buy one from a neighboring system to prevent a severe loss of population on your planet. It may also be possible for the disease to spread throughout your empire if you are careless about where your ships are. For example if you send a patrol ship from your homeworld to one of your colonies on the outer ring of the solar system, it may be possible for the disease from your homeworld to begin to ravage the outer colony as well. Not only will disease provide strategy and another market opportunity for producers and traders, but it might not be that hard to implement without massively changing a lot of gameplay elements considering it would be rare. Decrease planet condition over time.

2.) Golden Age While Diseases are quite negative, the inverse might be when your planet gets a boost in productivity because of your excellent leadership skills. Perhaps the ingenuity of your planet gets an increase so you can get random discoveries more often like new technology or something. So for example if you have a low Amount of War, a high science level, high happiness, excess resources, and a strong economy, your planet may go into a sort of golden age mode. Increases overall planet condition.

3.) Terrorism Just as in real life, there are also many disasters that may affect your planets. Terrorism may be an issue on one of your planets if it has a very low happiness and a high amount of war. I don't mean to quote "the art of war" or anything but.. If your populations only profession is war and that is all they know, it will lead to a great deal of problems relating to terrorism and poverty. So if terrorism becomes a problem on one of your planets it may decrease the overall production/economy of the planet. Which can eventually negatively influence other factors such as happiness and ingenuity. Decreases condition if not handled by increasing happiness and defending the planet so for long enough for its war amount to decrease.

4.) Natural Disasters On your planet you may get a report of a collapse in one of your planetary mining operations, which resulted in massive earthquakes and seismic destruction!! Ohh noo! Your population may drop from these disasters but will quickly recover if the planet is in good condition.

5.) W.I.P :P

I will edit in more over time as I think of more/ get suggestions as well as edit this original post as needed.. So expect a lot of changes which I will note below:
AngeredZeus

Re: [Suggestion] Population Management

Postby AeonH4x » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Im fairly certain things like this are planned. Like you can research different political ideologies and it can affect the output of your planet.
I dont remember the extent that they were doing it at.
Could be a cool feature though :)

Id like to see more of an in-depth political options concerning the governance of the planets authoritarian, democratic etc.. Probably a bit too niche for this game aha
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. - Bertrand Russel
No Regrets Only Glory
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

AeonH4x

Postby Lord Tyrius » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:37 am

Population management and happiness will be a thing. As far as I know you will be able to influence how you empire functions to some degree.
In both cases I don't know what factors will be in play or how in-depth each of them will be.

I know about a system where supply of goods from far away planets/systems can increase your populations happiness (and maybe increase production for a while), something along those lines is lakely what we will see first to be implemented, further down the road things might become more in-depth (and will probably).
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby AngeredZeus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Lord Tyrius wrote:Population management and happiness will be a thing. As far as I know you will be able to influence how you empire functions to some degree.
In both cases I don't know what factors will be in play or how in-depth each of them will be.

I know about a system where supply of goods from far away planets/systems can increase your populations happiness (and maybe increase production for a while), something along those lines is lakely what we will see first to be implemented, further down the road things might become more in-depth (and will probably).

I had thought that it would have been apart of the game, but from what I've read only positive things can happen.. I think we need more bad stuff eventually :P
AngeredZeus

Postby AngeredZeus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:07 pm

AeonH4x wrote:Im fairly certain things like this are planned. Like you can research different political ideologies and it can affect the output of your planet.
I dont remember the extent that they were doing it at.
Could be a cool feature though :)

Id like to see more of an in-depth political options concerning the governance of the planets authoritarian, democratic etc.. Probably a bit too niche for this game aha

I'd love to see government options as well lol, perhaps you can assign a governing figure to a planet and allow it to be sort of npc ran. Who you chose will chose that individual planet's political system. Or you could do it manually and become the most feared Sith Lord in all of the galaxies xD
AngeredZeus

Postby Lord Tyrius » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:15 am

AngeredZeus wrote:I'd love to see government options as well lol, perhaps you can assign a governing figure to a planet and allow it to be sort of npc ran. Who you chose will chose that individual planet's political system. Or you could do it manually and become the most feared Sith Lord in all of the galaxies xD

i think you will have a lot of competition on that one xD

AngeredZeus wrote:I had thought that it would have been apart of the game, but from what I've read only positive things can happen.. I think we need more bad stuff eventually :P

There will be bad things for sure, you will not want your population to be angry at you.
Punishing players for making their people revolt is a great mechanic, however huge "random" catastrophes are difficult to handle, as it is hard to make a player accept that his whole hard built up population just died by a random (non-self-inflicted) event that didn't happen to his enemy.
Of course there should still be these things, they make the game emersive and the possibility of all kinds of random things happening at any time also makes for a lot of fun, but it needs to be well thought out.
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Return to Game Suggestions and Website Feedback