Infantry and Ground Forces

Do you think you could make Novus Aeterno better then us? Let us know, you might actually get something out of it!

Infantry and Ground Forces

Postby Sanguinem » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:22 am

So, we know that at some point there are plans to add ground forces into the game, so I had a few ideas and suggestions for unit types that could be employed in the ground combat section of the game when attacking and defending planets.

1. Infantry: The most basic form of ground unit. 1 weapon, no armor.

2. Mechanized Infantry: Basic infantry that has a APC to act as support for the unit, providing some armor to the infantry making them a little harder to kill and a little more capable in combat.

3. Powered Armor Units: These are the creme de le creme of the infantry units. Heavily armored with a compliment of weaponry from heavy weapons to assault weapons. Extremely tough, able to take an incredible beating and dish one out.

4. Light Tanks: A light form of armor, vulnerable to infantry but extremely effective against armor and buildings.

5. Heavy Tank: The Behemoth of tanks, this is a mobile pain station. While still vulnerable to infantry they are extremely effective against light tanks and armored infantry and buildings.

6. Mechs/hard armor/power suits: Whatever you want to call them, they are the peak in armored warfare. extremely expensive and awesomely effective with a wide array of weaponry and highly maneuverable.

7. Aircraft: This can range from fast interceptors to bombers, used to support infantry on the planets surface and help eliminate valuable targets to pave the way for the invasion force.

Again, just some interesting ideas I had for possible units on the ground.

De sanguine - Of The Blood
Sanguinem

Re: Infantry and Ground Forces

Postby Aetherblade » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:34 am

Although I would love this as well, when we first are going to actually implement the ground combat system, it will be more limited than this is. Mostly because we want to keep people's focus in space. It would very hard to fight both in space and on the ground at the same time. Over time we will probably add more, and perhaps we will even start with more, than just the basics though. It will require some practical experience and testing for sure.
Guide to the game:
Link
Game tutorial videos: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2901

Want to keep up to date on the playtesting / server status, or just talk to the developers? The steam group is a good way to get in touch! We are always in chat on Thursdays and often on the days as well to talk with you guys about whatever :). Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NovusA ... filtrators
Aetherblade

Postby bytestream » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:42 am

Just make ground combat turn based with one turn every cycle. This way players would only have to deal with their ground forces every minute which allows them to focus on their space battles.
bytestream

Postby firespier » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 am

still problematic with space battle going on with constant need to micro
1. Everything which can go wrong will go wrong
2.Never underestimate human stupidness
firespier

Postby markstoev » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:44 pm

well i know it is futher talk but maybe ( seeing as its going to take a month to capture a planet) there could be a a Ai control for your armys ( like hearts of iron) where you give it opjectives and stance's. so you only have to look in every hour/day. maybe even make it so that comunication's only work with ships in orbit, giving another incentive to fight for space controle.
markstoev

Postby Sypheria » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Ground combat will be simultaneous turn-based at 1 turn per 5 minutes.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby MustardAndFrys » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:06 pm

If you fight me on the ground I will surrender then bombard my own planet from space until all of your fledgling soldiers are killed under my cannon fire then send down one space marine and win the game
"Our servers are communists" - Sypheria

MustardAndFrys

Postby Sypheria » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:11 pm

And your planet will revolt at your actions and kick you out. :P
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby MustardAndFrys » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:21 pm

And then I crush the uprisings using prison camps and martial law
"Our servers are communists" - Sypheria

MustardAndFrys

Postby TheMightySpin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Rather than have 7 or 8 different types of units it would probably be a lot easier to break it down into 3: Infantry, Armor and Support (such as Aircraft or Artillery(please give me some Artillery)), each with their own researchable upgrades like different weapons, armor, etc. This would make it easier for everyone, namely the Devs. Imagine coding new ship components for each of those new ground forces, plus the details for each. Mindboggling... This would keep things nice and simple: Troop Drop Pods, Armour Drop Pods, Support Drop Pods; Infantry Upgrades, Armour Upgrades, Support Upgrades. Simple is good, the more complicated something is the more there is to go wrong.

On a slightly separate note, when do we foresee the addition of planetary defenses of sorts? I have seen much talk of them on the forums, but nothing in game. I'm sure its going to be one of those 'it's done when it's done' type things, but still curious to hear plans for that. I can't wait to do some hardcore planetary assaults!
In the beginning, there was chaos, and the chaos was the Infantry, the Queen of Battle. However, the Queen was alone. And fear was with the Infantry, so she cried out unto the Lord saying, "Lord, save us for we are afraid!"

The Lord said unto them, "I shall send unto you a race of men noble in heart and spirit." And the Lord created the Field Artillery, and named them the King of Battle.

And the Lord gave the King big guns and big bullets. And the Infantry were jealous, for they had none. And the Lord gave the Field Artillery rockets and missiles and nukes. And when the Infantry saw this, they fell to their knees in awesome wonder, saying surely the Lord is on the side of the Field Artillery, the King of Battle

Hail to the King, Baby
TheMightySpin

Next

Return to Game Suggestions and Website Feedback