Bigger ships with higher DPS outperformed by smaller ships

Come talk tactics with Generals from around the galaxy.

Bigger ships with higher DPS outperformed by smaller ships

Postby Silligoose » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:01 am

over the last few weeks I've done a bit of testing to get a feel for the fleet compositions I would like. During that testing, I tested multiple ships classes and weapons, when I started to notice something... peculiar:

A fleet comprised of small ships (eg corvettes), will kill targets quicker than a fleet comprised of larger ships, even if the larger fleet composition sports more weapons.

The latest test I did compared two fleet compositions, focusing on damage output only:
Fleet 1: 45 corvettes, 135 missiles equipped
Fleet 2: 30 battleships, 150 missile weapons equipped

In theory, the battleship should kill targets faster, but in practice, the corvettes killed targets approx 20% faster on average, despite having less offensive power.

The targets were exactly the same for both fleets during the tests and comprised of corvettes, battleships, cruisers or dreads.

I also conducted the same type of tests using lasers instead of projectile, since lasers do not miss. The results were more or less the same, with the corvette fleet performing the best, despite having fewer weapons equipped.

Is this some sort of bug, or is this intended gameplay and if so, why would this be intended?
Silligoose

Re: Bigger ships with higher DPS outperformed by smaller shi

Postby Sypheria » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:35 am

It's intended.
In a couple months smaller ships will be limited by the size classifications and will be unable to equip any of the weapons you're currently using.
Also, smaller ships will not be able to be used in combat since they'll always be offline.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Silligoose » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:33 am

What is the cause for the discrepancy?

In my testing, it appears as though it may be the loading and firing of guns, eg 1 bigger ships with say 6 lasers, will fire them one at a time and once all 6 have fired, the cooldown begins, while say smaller ships (eg 3 ships with 2 guns each) each fire twice before cooldown, which means 3 guns will fire simultaneously. This is merely hypothesis though and it feels as though something else might be at play as well.

Does this system not make stats inaccurate then? Will the stats system take into account this mechanic, so i can see building the larger ships with more guns actually have less firepower?
Silligoose

Postby Sypheria » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:28 am

Hulls have a global cooldown associated with them, the larger the ship, the longer the cooldown between activating components is.

But again, right now your putting 4000+ damage weapons on corvettes, later your max damage off a corvette will be ~100.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Balcifer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:16 am

any ETA about when the change will happen?
Balcifer

Postby Sypheria » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:40 am

In a couple months.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Silligoose » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 am

At 100 damage on a corvette, will corvettes still be viable? That sounds like very little damage compared to other weapons/ships. What will the DPS be with those weapons on corvettes? (probably a q for PerfectDeath, as I think he is the guy in charge of balancing)
Silligoose

Postby Sypheria » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:09 am

Corvettes are meant for scouting or attacking with lighter anti-fighter weaponry which can't hurt actual ships.

They will come with free modules which greatly extend it's sight range beyond that of other units.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Silligoose » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:17 am

I will do... Death by a thousand ants, like Zerglings, when they come up against Hellbats... oh wait... ^_^

Sounds good. I'm guessing many players feel Darth Vader's pain when that OP nerd Luke blew up the Deathstar with his crappy X-Wing (it was a fighter, but still, the rage is real lol)
Silligoose

Postby Sypheria » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:24 am

Crappy fighters can destroy ships; anti-fighter weapons can't.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Next

Return to Gameplay