Planetary Combat Control

Come talk tactics with Generals from around the galaxy.

Planetary Combat Control

Postby mosaic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:06 am

I may not have searched well enough for this, sorry in advance.

Will the game see more control of ground combat in the future? Will it also receive 3D planetary graphics?
mosaic

Re: Planetary Combat Control

Postby Silligoose » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:16 am

Mos def! If memory serves, the devs stated that conquering a planet will involve some sort of combat mechanics. It may be more turn based as opposed to the all-out RTS style combat we find with FvF, so that players don't have to focus too much constant attention to the combat on the planet while their fleets are in sitting vulnerably in space.

I would love to read a bit more about the plans regarding planet capturing as well :)
Silligoose

Postby mosaic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:01 am

Silligoose wrote:Mos def! If memory serves, the devs stated that conquering a planet will involve some sort of combat mechanics. It may be more turn based as opposed to the all-out RTS style combat we find with FvF, so that players don't have to focus too much constant attention to the combat on the planet while their fleets are in sitting vulnerably in space.

I would love to read a bit more about the plans regarding planet capturing as well :)

Way cool! That's an interesting issue to solve, managing fleets and ground units at the same time. What would be cool is if you could view both at once, without using split screen. Then it wouldn't have to be turn-based and would fit their game model. Not that there's anything wrong with turn based.. Maybe the planetary tiles could be viewed from space and units could be moved through them on the planet's surface, enabling you to see and control your ships too.
mosaic

Postby Silligoose » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 am

I really look forward to seeing how it is all implemented and played out. Tbh, when I first read about it being turn-based, my head went 'rabble rabble rabble this is an RTS!!!', despite the fact that I've enjoyed some turn-based games (probably most notably the Final Fantasy series with its hybrid turn-based gameplay).

I think what the devs try to keep in mind, is as we continue to grow in the game and empires expand, there is a possibility that bigger wars may break out, consisting of battles fought in space on two (or more) fronts and possibly there may be occurrences where a player attempts to conquer a planet, while at the same time, in another part of the galaxy, his own planet or two is being attacked by enemies.
In cases such as those, having both planet conquering and FvF be full on RTS the whole time could become overwhelming to players.

I'm not sure how the mechanics will be implemented, but looking back to Final Fantasy, the series has little mini-games in every game, some basic in design and function, others more elaborate, some a type of hybrid between established genres and yet very fun to play. I check the forums every now and then to see if more info is divulged and I'm pretty sure the devs would love feedback on the mechanics they employ to make it an enjoyable part of the game. Personally I'm hoping for some sort of hybrid genre style :)
Last edited by Silligoose on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silligoose

Postby Maverick210 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:53 am

Question is, what happens when a player is defending one planet from an invasion and is battling turn based like and another planet of that player is attacked a few minutes later. Does the attacker of the second planet has to wait till the first battle is finished or will AI take it over? Depending on the battle this can take quite some time if it is turn based and there is no AI.

If it is turn based I would say that other planets, that are being attacked while the player is doing a battle, should have some kind of protection that does not allow them to be invaded (but blockaded maybe).
The blockade should then be lifted a couple of minutes after the first battle, so the player has at least some time to respond to the second attack and eventually even get a break or something. Should make it more player-friendly.
Maverick210

Postby mosaic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:33 am

Maverick210 wrote:Question is, what happens when a player is defending one planet from an invasion and is battling turn based like and another planet of that player is attacked a few minutes later. Does the attacker of the second planet has to wait till the first battle is finished or will AI take it over? Depending on the battle this can take quite some time if it is turn based and there is no AI.

If it is turn based I would say that other planets, that are being attacked while the player is doing a battle, should have some kind of protection that does not allow them to be invaded (but blockaded maybe).
The blockade should then be lifted a couple of minutes after the first battle, so the player has at least some time to respond to the second attack and eventually even get a break or something. Should make it more player-friendly.

That's why I think all combat should be RTS. I think having plantets set as invulnerable because someone is dealing with a battle in one place limits the game's gameplay to a very small scope from what it could be. It would mean that you couldn't have allies help defend solar systems and there would be very little cooperation.

Have you guys ever played a game called Planetary Annihilation? It incorporates RTS strategy on a fully planetary and galactic level. The galactic battle isn't as fleshed out as the ground combat, and its merely only a matched base game (which this game isn't! It's a persistent mmo!) but it has you managing bases and armies on upwards of 4-5 planets on both battlefield arenas all at the same time solely on your own. So it is something that is possible, and with the right interface and ui capabilies it could certainly be done here. I'd love to see that with the persistent mmo element this game offers since battles here actually have meaning.
mosaic

Postby Maverick210 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:35 pm

mosaic wrote:
That's why I think all combat should be RTS. I think having plantets set as invulnerable because someone is dealing with a battle in one place limits the game's gameplay to a very small scope from what it could be. It would mean that you couldn't have allies help defend solar systems and there would be very little cooperation.

Have you guys ever played a game called Planetary Annihilation? It incorporates RTS strategy on a fully planetary and galactic level. The galactic battle isn't as fleshed out as the ground combat, and its merely only a matched base game (which this game isn't! It's a persistent mmo!) but it has you managing bases and armies on upwards of 4-5 planets on both battlefield arenas all at the same time solely on your own. So it is something that is possible, and with the right interface and ui capabilies it could certainly be done here. I'd love to see that with the persistent mmo element this game offers since battles here actually have meaning.

Well I guess in Novus players will prolly have more then 4-5 planets to manage and far more potential hostile players/alliances then in PA. And yes it is an MMO, so if you loose all your planets you just cannot make a new game where everyone starts from scratch. If we do not give smaller alliances a chance to repel bigger ones we will sooner or later end up like EVE, where one or two Alliances dictate the rest of the galaxy. And I think implementing some kind of siege or blockade mechanism still leaves enough room for cooperations between the playerbase. You can still ask your allies to help out in breaking the siege or even start a counter attack, while not loosing nearly all your planets in one sudden attack.
Maverick210

Postby TheMightySpin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:24 am

Perhaps ground combat could be broken up so you're trying to take and hold territories in a Risk like fashion. Your initial drop secures you a piece of territory and you can direct your troops to take neighboring territories from there with a cool down between offensives. That would allow the player to be able to handle both fleet and ground combat without it getting too ridiculously overwhelming and still have that good old fashioned RTS feel to it. Also, they need more artillery. Just sayin'.
In the beginning, there was chaos, and the chaos was the Infantry, the Queen of Battle. However, the Queen was alone. And fear was with the Infantry, so she cried out unto the Lord saying, "Lord, save us for we are afraid!"

The Lord said unto them, "I shall send unto you a race of men noble in heart and spirit." And the Lord created the Field Artillery, and named them the King of Battle.

And the Lord gave the King big guns and big bullets. And the Infantry were jealous, for they had none. And the Lord gave the Field Artillery rockets and missiles and nukes. And when the Infantry saw this, they fell to their knees in awesome wonder, saying surely the Lord is on the side of the Field Artillery, the King of Battle

Hail to the King, Baby
TheMightySpin

Return to Gameplay