Exciting Combat

Come talk tactics with Generals from around the galaxy.

Exciting Combat

Postby PerfectDeath » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 am

Post your suggestions on how we can improve the combat of novus aeterno to make it fun, exciting, and something you can't pull yourself away from!

We've got some possible ideas:
A bunker ability that "snares" enemy ships that get too close, cannot be used while moving or rotating - helps make solid lines and preventing "mosh pits".

wider fire arcs - helps reduce micro needed when managing your fleet.

Engine penalties where ship sizes lose efficiency on engines slowing their speed:
Corvettes - 100%
Destroyer - 50%
Cruiser - 30%
Battleship - 20%
Dreadnaught - 10%
Makes corvettes considerably faster.
Make corvettes considerably cheaper.

Make the larger ship classes have more weapon slots:
Cruiser - 5
Battleship - 8
Dreadnaught - 16!?

Make units die quicker?

Ships will be able to block other ships by receiving fire and blocking movement of enemies. Does not effect your own units.
Knockback weapons.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Re: Exciting Combat

Postby Aetherblade » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:38 am

I'd make a wide range of HP classes, so you have a lot of tiny ships in your fleet that do poof in a awesome way all the time, and some heay slugging battleships that can dish out damage and take it longer. The thing I found awesome about some Homeworld 2 mods, is how you could see yourship take damage. Impactcraters, and maybe laser 'stripes' as damage on the hull, or even stuff breaking off when they get near death. But way more importantly, make the larger ships die slowly after they have been destoryed, spewing fire, explosions and parts into space with nice sound effects.

Also, maybe music based on what you are looking at? So more active, dangerous sounding music when looking at battles, while you have the normal ambient music outside of that?

In games like this sound is very important, make sure the weapons sound right and have some ballsy sound effects. Aside from that, I would indeed make corvets take the fighter role that is currently lacking: fast, cheap, and low HP.

I would however not increase the firing arcs, that would deminish the tactical maneuvering you are trying to build the game around. Instead, you could maybe make that a command module for capital ships?

Also consider implenting mining, or other delayed action bombs and weapon platforms that can be deployed for some time so that people need to pay attention to the fight or run into them and take losses. Also, make the ships explosions dangerous for nearby ships (which was already planned I believe?) with EMP or damage effects, so you have to keep managing your own and your opponent's fleets to avoid this.

Another thing is misfires. When guns mis, the round/missles/plasma fired should detonate after sometime, so you get that awesome flak effect you see in some movies and games. I'll try to get some examples of what I love to see from youtube below.

Hm, can't find the ones I was looking for yet. I have to work now, but I'll try to find some later.

Also, I would have the ship's size not matter for their forward speeds, but only for their rotational speeds. This makes no real sence, but I think this would make the battle's more intresting between a load of wheeny ships and a Dreadnaught for example. Also, maybe have corvettes be able to dock into battleships for repairs?

\*\rant over for now :) \*
edit:

this vid shows how I'd love to see scaring, and sound effects. Although the guns do not have a deep, heavy feel for them still. Just make sure the guns sound and look like big massive boomsticks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBsyHDGAo5c
Aetherblade

Postby Sypheria » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:02 am

You have a lot of visual only things in there.

To be more specific, what makes the act of clicking in a RTS fun? =P
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Aetherblade » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:38 am

Ah, you will only need an APM counter like SC2, and the whole world will be addicted xD. Or make bunnies explode when you click!

Clicking shouldn't be fun perse, I wouldn't know why anyway. But you could maybe use the mouse to see how formations will look when hover over ships while holding a hotkey?

Oh how about you can click on click on units to 'assume personal command' to give it a stat boost maybe? Or you can 'drag' ship to steer it manually, like emergency trusters to get it out of harms way?
Maybe you can hoover over units to see firing arcs, armor and weapon loadouts, movement waypoints, units owner etc. But that's pretty standard.

Is there something specific you want, because simply clicking your mouse has never been intresting before, although you could introduce force feedback mouses to the market for this game :D.
Aetherblade

Postby Lutcikaur » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 am

Biggest feature, buttons to cycle showing firing arcs, and when you select a unit (lets say a single unit for now) you can reposition them by clickdragging right click, and it moves and changes their direction, and holding shift or some configurable key makes them stay in place but look a direction

Also, Heck if i know man, i havent played yet o-o it might be fun as it is
If (strcmp(in,"working") == 0){ procrastinate(); }
Lutcikaur

Postby Lord Tyrius » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:05 am

You could make chasing Ships faster so it is more difficult to escape and better to fight or you make the chasing thing a special unlockable technology or sth like this...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby Aetherblade » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 am

I would make that an optional ability for engines you can put on ships. That engine could grand a "Overcharge ze enginez" ability to chase down units or something. Seems to be more inline with the rest of the game mechanics.
Guide to the game:
Link
Game tutorial videos: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2901

Want to keep up to date on the playtesting / server status, or just talk to the developers? The steam group is a good way to get in touch! We are always in chat on Thursdays and often on the days as well to talk with you guys about whatever :). Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NovusA ... filtrators
Aetherblade

Postby PerfectDeath » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:42 am

we're implementing a new way for ship size to influence engine performance so smaller ships can be more mobile without needing a lot more engines. Also when a unit has spent about 60 seconds out of combat they can engage their fast travel speed (a set speed which is only active outside of combat) it is significantly faster than combat speeds and great for flanking or chasing an enemy, it can also be tricky to use it to escape since getting hit once will disengage it for a min.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby Lord Tyrius » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:21 am

Sounds good to me.
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby joyce1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:50 am

Still thinking on how to improve the combat of novus aeterno to make it fun! :(
A balisong, otherwise known as a butterfly knife or a Batangas knife or sometimes called Bente Nueve, is a folding (pocket knives) with two handles counter-rotating
joyce1

Next

Return to Gameplay