Ship ideas

QQ to your hearts content and we'll take a look at its legitimacy.

Ship ideas

Postby Fengyea » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:54 pm

I had some more ideas about ships in a nut shell.

1. Large guns and tracking

I had an Idea for bigger guns, ether range or dps has a hard time tracking smaller ships. When you look at most naval battles. One exact tatic smaller ships used was to get under the guns of smaller capitals. When I look at the game now dread spams become a constant thing. I like the idea with the bigger gun not being able to hit vettes and deses. This smaller strike craft have a reason to go in an soften up bigger caps and sup caps.

2. I like the idea of armor making ships slower more heavy armor you use. The slower and less agile the ship, also less turn rate.

3. The idea of with less armor the more likely chance on board ammo caches explode on ship. So over time the ships total hp will start to go down.

Hope you guys like the idea

-Fenyang
"Usuthu!" – to be shouted before every Zulu charge
"A Zulu can run – RUN! – fifty miles…and fight a battle at the end of it."

Zulus - thousands of them

Spear head of zeon
Fengyea

Re: Ship ideas

Postby PerfectDeath » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Some ship weapons have penalties against firing at moving targets and firing while moving because of the extra work that has to go into aiming in those situations.
Though, Ideally, smaller ships should use their speed to avoid entering the firing ranges or ships instead of relying on a 'dodge' to tank shots for them.

more mass = more delta V (change in velocity) required to adjust a ship's movement. Small ships will be more efficient with their engines.

currently, critical failures (that includes weapon jams, engine immobilization, etc) are caused by hits received. Different hull types have different failure chances. Right now, damage over time is not implemented due to its cost on the server.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby Vernichter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 am

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but how about weaknesses in the ship. It is very unlikely ships will have the same all around armor. So lets say if a shot hits a less armored part of the hull it should do more likewise it should do less if hitting a more heavily armored area. When the ships are turning it exposes different areas of its hull. The lasers shouldn't hit in the exact same spot either. For example if you firing at the starboard area of a ship the shot just hits at the middle and its not hitting in different places like it most likely would. This would be more effective with differential thickness in hull armor because if the salvo is hitting in the exact same spot where its more heavily armored it would do the same damage compared to a less armored spot. Just something to consider. Not sure if you guys have done something like this, but just throwing it out there.
The Human Race will always be expanding, adapting, and exploring as long as we live. It is the natural urge of our race.
Vernichter

Postby Sypheria » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:47 am

We already have directional armor.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Sylus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Hey, concerning those fancy designs of the ships shown in the trailer (do want), it didn't look like they had much in ways of engines all the way in the back, so, while I get that ships as of now don't get aft firing arcs, it seems to make sense that ships of those particular designs would allow for one or two secondaries in the rear. Just a thought based on the aesthetic look, I understand though that doing so messes with the in place mechanics, I just wanted to get this off my chest.
Sylus

Postby Kuiper » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Fengyea wrote:I had some more ideas about ships in a nut shell.

I had an Idea for bigger guns, ether range or dps has a hard time tracking smaller ships. When you look at most naval battles. One exact tatic smaller ships used was to get under the guns of smaller capitals. When I look at the game now dread spams become a constant thing. I like the idea with the bigger gun not being able to hit vettes and deses. This smaller strike craft have a reason to go in an soften up bigger caps and sup caps.

2. I like the idea of armor making ships slower more heavy armor you use. The slower and less agile the ship, also less turn rate.

3. The idea of with less armor the more likely chance on board ammo caches explode on ship. So over time the ships total hp will start to go down.

-Fenyang

Its space.. i don't see why more armor (weight) would slow down a ship. I rather have a heavy armor dread cost as much CP as 4 lightweight scouts. If the Devs balance the game correctly the person with the better tactics (including chosen ship modules) would win.
The weak lose to the strong.. The strong lose to the smart.. People call me Einstein
Kuiper

Postby Thurisaz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Kuiper wrote:Its space.. i don't see why more armor (weight) would slow down a ship. I rather have a heavy armor dread cost as much CP as 4 lightweight scouts. If the Devs balance the game correctly the person with the better tactics (including chosen ship modules) would win.

Its called moment of inertia. Its the same as the braking distance from a truck against the braking distance from a car. More mass = longer braking distance and a bigger turning circle.
Thurisaz

Postby UnicomNexus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Fengyea wrote:I had some more ideas about ships in a nut shell.

-Fenyang

1. Nice, but there should be like a 75% chance of hitting the smaller ships.

2. That's going to be implemented with the less engine slots, more engine power required. But once you turn, it'll speed up. (no friction in space)

3. It's already planned.
You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win it by making the other die for their country.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me. I'll help to the best of my abilities.
~Jaren

Roboris Per Scientia - Strength Through Science

na_sypheria: My body turns calories into code.
UnicomNexus

Postby voomhi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:25 pm

or gravity.
Umm.. GO GO ANIME!
"True art requires your imagination for the unknown"-Shiroyasha (anime is: mondaiji tachi ga isekai kara kuru sou desu yo )
voomhi

Postby PerfectDeath » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Total Mass is slower to move because it takes more energy to change its velocity.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Next

Return to Balancing