Different tech requires different amounts of RARE resources?

QQ to your hearts content and we'll take a look at its legitimacy.

Different tech requires different amounts of RARE resources?

Postby Veqlargh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:37 am

So i've been poking around as i'm considering backing the kickstarter but not alot of actual game mechanics information out there that i'm finding. So i've got some general questions regarding balance.

If i understand things there isn't a tech tree nor is any tech/components you research "BETTER" then other tech you unlock as it simply offeres you different options. But at the same time i've seen reference to the fact you have common, uncommon and rare resources for making ships/components. It was infered that higher teir tech would require higher amounts of UNCOMMON and RARE resources. I'm not sure how this makes sense if techs only offer different options. It seems like to a certain extent there is actually little incentive to do extensive research as everything is CP balanced which begs the question why bother? any information to enlighten me here? thus fare i've searched through the gameplay/balance/kickstarter sections and nothing really cleared that up for me.

Is there any clear cut information on how different planets affect gameplay? this is more in reference to the kickstarter planets which have +/- where one has a bonus to population growth and reduced resources and the other is reversed. Considering i have no reference for how population growth actually fits into the overall flow of the game how would i know which planets i would want to colonize?

I've watched some youtube videos but thus far all i've found is showing off the combat system and doesn't really give me any idea of how planets are run individually or the empire as a whole.

At this point i deffinatly know i want to back it to some extent i'm just not sure if i'd want to back it up to the 140-200 range for the special planets and ship hulls. Still 30 days to go on the kickstarter so hopefully i'll stumble across some more concrete information if no one can enlighten me :)

thanx for your time.
Veqlargh

Re: Different tech requires different amounts of RARE resour

Postby firespier » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:47 am

well the main r eason in my opinion is simply that as said it gives you more options meaning an increase in tactical oppertunities
it gives you the option of better fashioning the ships to your playstyle
1. Everything which can go wrong will go wrong
2.Never underestimate human stupidness
firespier

Postby Sypheria » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:48 am

If you have a shield that grants immunity to damage for 10 seconds, one that lowers all beam damage by 50% and another that absorbs 30k damage which one is better? Components are all situational.

You may have very strong weapons with high volatility values meaning everytime your shot you have a 1% to just die and it increases as your hull becomes more damaged. That may sound like a small number, but its really not when your unit is being hit 50 times a second and may have many of these weapons equipped at the same time. Is that extra dps worth the chance of instantly losing a unit?

When you terraform a planet it becomes that type. You would just want to colonize the largest one you could get your hands on. Larger planets support larger populations and generally yield more resources but are obviously coveted by other players.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby PerfectDeath » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:48 pm

A shield that resists damage vs a shield that buffers damage are useful in different ways; for example.
If I am taking damage from the front where my armour rating reduces damage the damage resistant shield will contribute to that reduction even more.
However, If I am taking damage from the rear where the damage is amplified the buffer will be more useful because the shield effect comes first before the armour take the damage. So the buffer will buffer 1,000 from any direction making it great to avoid taking lots of damage right away when hit from behind.

The immunity shield is useful when you know you are going to enter into the attacking zones of multiple ships with fully loaded weapons. It is also useful for high volatility units to avoid triggering that volatility meltdown from hits received.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby Paestero » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 am

So you could make sort of a fireship, loaded with volatile resources/weapons/stuff, shield it enough to get in the middle of the enemy.
And then watch them blow it up? ;)
Mankind veteran, Astro Empires veteran
Paestero

Postby Sypheria » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 am

System integrity is 1/10th of your hull integrity, so at 90% of your max hp your unit would just shutdown preventing you from maintaining shields , weapons and engines. If you're using a fast unit able to get in close it will probably die isolated before you can get it running again. If your using a tanky unit it will be too slow to actually charge in. Your systems will also shutdown 7+ times (if not attacked while shutdown) before your even capable of blowing up, so that strategy is normally not feasible.

The Acean race is mostly melee however and do not suffer from SI issues. When they die corrosive acid spills out from them. So for an Acean player this is a feasible tactic.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Paestero » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:53 am

Sypheria wrote:System integrity is 1/10th of your hull integrity, so at 90% of your max hp your unit would just shutdown preventing you from maintaining shields , weapons and engines. If you're using a fast unit able to get in close it will probably die isolated before you can get it running again. If your using a tanky unit it will be too slow to actually charge in. Your systems will also shutdown 7+ times (if not attacked while shutdown) before your even capable of blowing up, so that strategy is normally not feasible.

The Acean race is mostly melee however and do not suffer from SI issues. When they die corrosive acid spills out from them. So for an Acean player this is a feasible tactic.

Interesting :) That would allow Acean player to develop some interesting strategies
Mankind veteran, Astro Empires veteran
Paestero

Postby AeroWLF » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:13 am

Do all the other races have interesting effects when they are destroyed?
There's no point to being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
AeroWLF

Postby Lord Tyrius » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:16 am

I think one race (Verunas?) give an AOE buff to nearby allied units.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Lord Tyrius

Postby Veqlargh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm

now are these racial special properties only for a player that actually is a given race? or is it specifically tied to the hull? would be very strange if it were tied to the hulls. I can understand a race captureing a different ship researching it and then being able to construct it if its somehow able to develop the tech for the appropriate construction building OR just capture a planet with the appropriate construction building. This would not explain how they'd benefit from the RACIAL bonus as that would be more of a cultural thing. Well at least with the verunas AOE buff. Not sure about the other species specials to be able to even talk about them.

But there should be some inherent bonus to being any specific race that really is tied to the race. Sure you can obtain tech/ships of another race and put them to use so you can utilize different strategies based on what a given races hull properties will allow.
Veqlargh

Next

Return to Balancing