Is there realy any incentive to expand in this game?

QQ to your hearts content and we'll take a look at its legitimacy.

Re: Is there realy any incentive to expand in this game?

Postby elementalest » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:39 am

Sypheria wrote:Planets take ages to steal form other players or "take from yourself" before they actually become productive. Chances are if you do something like that we'll have already found out and made you a target of NPC and player ire via quests to kill you.

Well that asside, the multi can still be used to defend the main accounts base. The multi just moves all their fleet to the main accounts planet and then goes offline. They don't need to worry about their home planet nearby as its perfectly safe due to the shield, and they don't need to do anything. They also don't lose fleet as its re-spawned for free as they are offline.

There's no real way to differentiate that from two friends helping each other expand and grow quicker. Also, it's possible that these friends have a falling out and when one moves their home planet to get away from the other, the other took advantage and attacked, taking the planet.

IMO this kind of issue is one of the biggest problem with these types of games. People will always try cheat and given the permanent nature of the game it can really ruin things for people. I actually don't think there is a solution for this, short of some kind of means of official identification, but that will never happen (nor would i play a game like that). But if you guys can solve it, without sacrificing gameplay, i will be really impressed.
elementalest

Postby Sypheria » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Logging off causes all your units to return home; you can't defend someone else planets if your not there.

Also space combat is only part of the planet capture process. A second account can't help you defend the ground. Nor win over the hearts of the populace.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby ConsortiumCzar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Almost every possible incentive you can think of for expanding an empire will exist in game. This is verified through the planned economic model. Details of which can be found on the (recorded) dev live streams and on youtube and such.

You won't run out of motivation, ever. Trust me. :P
To apply to the Consortium of Planets, inquire via PM
ConsortiumCzar

Location: http://www.twitch.tv/dtebbs87 http://www.consortiumofplanets.net

Postby UnicomNexus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:26 pm

For the CP grow system, I think that when you capture a whole solar system, then you're allowed like another 10000 extra. That should be enough to defend the system, but not enough to be able to make everything overpowered. And when people capture 2 solar systems, then they get the max? The max has to come from somewhere except for the fact that in real empires, the units gets spread out, but then you can have more units but, then it's easier to make it collapse... I think a way to do that is to make ftl take some time. So ftl between large empires (around 2 solar systems) should take around 30 seconds since it shouldn't be instant unless it's within the solar system. Or, you can limit the ships allowed to ftl to a place at a time.
You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win it by making the other die for their country.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me. I'll help to the best of my abilities.
~Jaren

Roboris Per Scientia - Strength Through Science

na_sypheria: My body turns calories into code.
UnicomNexus

Postby elementalest » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 am

Sypheria wrote:Logging off causes all your units to return home; you can't defend someone else planets if your not there.

Also space combat is only part of the planet capture process. A second account can't help you defend the ground. Nor win over the hearts of the populace.

hmm, i see. Didn't know that about fleets. That seems like a bad idea, and really limits the gameplay (IMHO). It means that multiple players can attack a planet, but only players that are online can actually defend it as when they go offline their fleets go back home. That means it will be really easy to capture planets with multiple attackers, but really hard to hold onto them. There will be constant back and forth, unless you can have a 24hr rotation of players defending the planet.

So how long does it take to capture a planet? If too long (like >3hrs) players may have to log off due to time restrictions and if they do will their fleet go back home? Or do fleets in combat/capturing a planet stay where they are?
elementalest

Postby Sypheria » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 am

Offline players defend their planets automatically. Its actually easier to take planets from online players than offline players; that said, it takes 3 days to revoke someones ownership of a planet and another 2 weeks+ to capture it to the point you can use it. Even if you take it the people will probably hate you and love their original owner and it will be very simple for them to take their planet back. Doing a "24 hour multi-person barrage" doesn't give you any advantage at all.

Fleets always return home for offline players.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Lord Tyrius » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:30 am

elementalest wrote:[...]Only problem i see is with multi accounts.[...]

Don't worry about multiaccounts. They are too hard to manage to be really usefull. It wouldn't be easy to use 2 fleets efficiently.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Lord Tyrius

Postby elementalest » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:30 pm

hmm, seems i don't fully grasp the planet capture concept. I went to the official page but it doesn't really cover the details.

So given it takes 3 days to revoke ownership of a planet does that mean the attacking player has to have fleet at the planet the whole time? You said that all players fleet returns to their home when they go offline, so i can only assume there's some other mechanic for capturing planets?

Wouldn't it make sense for a defending player who knows the are going to be attacked soon (spies, intel, player sends threats etc) to just log off, get all their fleet back and hit back at the attacker later? Especially given attacking someone offline is harder than online.

Incidentally is there some kind of central resource for all this gameplay info? I'd rather not form opinions based on incomplete ideas and missing info.
elementalest

Postby Sypheria » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:03 am

You don't have to have a fleet there the whole time. Infact there's a limit to how much you can do at any given time. Capturing another players planet is a massive war, not a tiny battle. It's a multi-week to month long affair with multiple stages and requires all 4 pillars of DIME. Its impossible for you to steamroll a player in his sleep even with the help of 100 players.

It's not really something easy to explain since nothing like it has ever been done before in a game; you'll just have to wait until its implemented to see.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby UnicomNexus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:49 am

Hmmn. Very interesting... But steamrolling could work if you destroy the whole population and use the planet like it was never owned... but idk about that kind of stuff.
You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win it by making the other die for their country.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me. I'll help to the best of my abilities.
~Jaren

Roboris Per Scientia - Strength Through Science

na_sypheria: My body turns calories into code.
UnicomNexus

PreviousNext

Return to Balancing