When talking about giving buffs to the underdog

QQ to your hearts content and we'll take a look at its legitimacy.

Re: When talking about giving buffs to the underdog

Postby Torrential » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:18 am

Some people are missing the really basic tactics here.

One or Two players attack and withdraw. - Next player/players attack and withdraw.

Or

One player attacks from one side - Next player attacks from the other.

Or

You surround your opponent but space yourself out, so FF Is much less of an issue.

If you all zerg rush in and get on top of each other with no strategy, good, I hope people do get plenty of FF in that case.
Torrential

Postby Sypheria » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:25 am

Friendly fire will happen regardless; even at impossible angles. Attempting to exploit it will get you nowhere.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Torrential » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:47 am

Sypheria wrote:Friendly fire will happen regardless; even at impossible angles. Attempting to exploit it will get you nowhere.

In a strategy game I always attempt to find an effective tactic, and I'm happy to announce it in alpha/beta so you can tweak it.

Hmm then hit and run is the most effective tactic? Two players go in, deplete the armor/shields, then get out. Next two go in with heavier ships and finish the job on the weakened ships. The defense against this would be mines, interdictors to stop FTL, or orbiting defense platforms that regenerated shields when not firing.

Upon review however - The most effective tactic is fighting three battles at once.

No matter what is put in place for one system, if your alliance hits 3 systems at once with 3 players each (9) vs 1, FF will not save that one player from being completely smashed, as fighting 3 battles at once will never be easy, even or especially multi accounters with 3 computers or clients running, (and you will get players doing this! :) ).

I don't usually double post, but it was important to state the most easily highlighted advantage of multiple players working together vs a single player. If those players want to finally stomp out the one or two planets left out of 10 or 20 I am happy it'll be tougher, but the entire empire, holding a lot of space that will take allies and coalitions to help you sustain, as it should.
Torrential

Postby PerfectDeath » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 pm

We never planned for the AI overwatch system to allow for decisive victories against offline players.

It is just no fun if you log on to find someone scoring a bunch of decisive victories while you were off line. Then when you do show up, he logs off making it more difficult to turn the tides.

So if both sides get into a stalemate due to their active times, then they should just stop the conflict and find someone who is more reliably online to fight during their own active times.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby Sypheria » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Hit and running a ZoC doesn't work. ZoCs are huge and the person your hitting will easily just able to walk away when he sees you sending in more players/units.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Pandora » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Sypheria wrote:Hit and running a ZoC doesn't work. ZoCs are huge and the person your hitting will easily just able to walk away when he sees you sending in more players/units.

How huge? And what determines the size?
Pandora

Previous

Return to Balancing