Debris fields?

QQ to your hearts content and we'll take a look at its legitimacy.

Re: Debris fields?

Postby Paestero » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:58 am

Sypheria wrote:Units of offline players don't give anything at all and units that do give anything are incredibly minimal. It's a slight reward for having won a battle.

How minimal is that 'incredibly minimal'? I would think that depending on the votality (sp?) of a ship's components/resources, quite a lot could stay intact of the bigger ships :)
Mankind veteran, Astro Empires veteran
Paestero

Postby Sypheria » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:37 am

The larger the ship, the less likely anything will be left over. Incredibly minimal means you don't want to fight to create fields, you want to find existing ones to salvage.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Pandora » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:43 pm

This is something of a divergence from normal thinking on games of this sort. Can I ask what drove this design decision?
And if that's the case, why fight fleets? Why not instead just bait, or go where the enemy is weak?
Pandora

Postby Sypheria » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 pm

That's a completely legit tactic; in fact I expect pirates to do it all the time.

The larger your ship is, the more components you can fit on it. The more components you have, the higher your volatility is. This means larger blast radius' and a more damaging blast. If a corvette has a volatility of 100 with all its components and dread has a volatility of 100000 with it's components, it's much more likely something will survive the corvettes death than the dreadnoughts. Compare it to a pebble being thrown in a lake verses a comet hitting the Earth.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Pandora » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Sypheria wrote:That's a completely legit tactic; in fact I expect pirates to do it all the time.

The larger your ship is, the more components you can fit on it. The more components you have, the higher your volatility is. This means larger blast radius' and a more damaging blast. If a corvette has a volatility of 100 with all its components and dread has a volatility of 100000 with it's components, it's much more likely something will survive the corvettes death than the dreadnoughts. Compare it to a pebble being thrown in a lake verses a comet hitting the Earth.

I see. For salvage, that makes sense. But what about a cloud of debris? Even if it's a gas, there would still be high amounts of theoretically usable materials floating around, even if in component form.
Pandora

Postby Sypheria » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:17 pm

You can only scavenge form hulls that remain.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Pandora » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Sypheria wrote:You can only scavenge form hulls that remain.

I can understand that. I was rather asking, why aren't their debris fields? A space battle would leave a LOT of junk floating around. Most of it in bits and pieces, but a recycling system could reprocess it into basic components. My question was, given how common a mechanic that is in games, why not do something similar? Not saying you should, I was just wondering about why from the design perspective you decided that was sub-optimal. Is it because it leads to pure fleet-on-fleet focus, as opposed to a strategic battle over planets?
Pandora

Postby Sypheria » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:41 pm

You savage hulls instead of floating junk because hulls have a unit id and its cheap on the server. We can have debris, but we would have to drastically reduce both the "MMO" portion of the game and the frequency of players being able to do things such as firing weapons. Remember in a normal MMORPG you control 1 character, but in NA you control potentially thousands of characters. Sacrifices need to be made in some areas.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Pandora » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Sypheria wrote:You savage hulls instead of floating junk because hulls have a unit id and its cheap on the server. We can have debris, but we would have to drastically reduce both the "MMO" portion of the game and the frequency of players being able to do things such as firing weapons. Remember in a normal MMORPG you control 1 character, but in NA you control potentially thousands of characters. Sacrifices need to be made in some areas.

Ah, thank you. I figured it was something along those lines, although the question of server resources was one I hadn't thought of
Pandora

Previous

Return to Balancing