Debris fields?

QQ to your hearts content and we'll take a look at its legitimacy.

Debris fields?

Postby Veqlargh » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:22 am

So this live stream was the first time i heard mention of salvaging ships and it had me mildly concerned. Mostly my concern stems from another unmentioned game in which the meta game literally comes down to destroying enemy fleets as they are essentially flying bags of money because you got so much from them compared to normal means of aquiring resources. Combine this with the fact that offline losses are automatically rebuild is it possible that someone can just keep killing your AI fleet over and over again to rake in rediculous amounts of resources? I'm hoping that due to the damage required to actually put a ship out of commision you will get a SERIOUSLY reduced amount of resources out of it such that you might just decide its just not worth the trouble unless said debris pile is right on your door step and thus easier for you to actually transport to a planet.

also if there is a great deal to gain from controlling a debris field that small skirmish you just had could easily lead to more and more fighting upping the ante to the point that while no one initially had the intention of invading your nearby planet the fact that there could now potentially be a 24hour a day presense above your planet depending on the severity of the back and forth fighting you could litterally have a 24/7 invasion to ward off all due to a little skirmish of little consquence earlier in the week. and with the "hey fighting over here feature" it could practically be like painting a target on your head.

Granted things are still very much in flux and we don't know the specifics so this might not even be an issue. but just want to get peoples thoughts on the matter and see whats what. Just want to be sure the focus is on conquering/retaining control of planets as opposed to chasing flying bags of money in space.
Veqlargh

Re: Debris fields?

Postby Sypheria » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:42 am

Units of offline players don't give anything at all and units that do give anything are incredibly minimal. It's a slight reward for having won a battle.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Veqlargh » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:09 am

sounds good then, small infusion of resources sounds like it might not really be worth a prolonged fight as you were likely there for some other purpose. Although you can also salvage the ships for research or possibly repair and use the ships yourself?
Veqlargh

Postby Sypheria » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:42 am

It's the only way to unlock alien technology.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby PerfectDeath » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:59 pm

It is also a way to supplement player's passive resource generation with some active elements. Gives players a reason to go out and look around.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby Quizzinbuzz117 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Great question actually, like the answers, and yes that does make me wanna explore and get me some AvP tech.

Come join us on the Official Zeon Imperium forums!
http://zeonimperium.enjin.com/

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch
Quizzinbuzz117

Postby Paestero » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:44 am

Would be fun if someone forgot where they fought and you randomly bump into a debris field
Free cookies! :D
Mankind veteran, Astro Empires veteran
Paestero

Postby Quizzinbuzz117 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Might as well get some milk to dunk them in, a forgotten debris field is pure gold.

Come join us on the Official Zeon Imperium forums!
http://zeonimperium.enjin.com/

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch
Quizzinbuzz117

Postby ante185 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:49 pm

If I had a single say in this (doesn't matter that I might have more say currently) then I would like to say: the amount of debri a fight (If the players at least tries to play smart) should generate should at a bare maximum be able to mend the wounds, so it isn't profitable to go into a fight just to scavenge the debris afterwards, of course these easy to get material should still be able to be turned into profit by a economic player.
I reason this way becuase I think the main reasons players fight is becuase a. They feel like they can afford it or b. they think they can turn a profit this way (isn't this how pirates think?)
Realised something about myself, caused me a personal crisis and gave me w new hobby. Now I need how to draw fml
ante185

Postby Sypheria » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:05 pm

It's not profitable to fight just to take damage. The most profitable part of a battle is retreating damaged units before they die.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Next

Return to Balancing