Suggestions Galore!

The Novus Aeterno community has shown it's talents and we want to see more. Come show us your stuff and I might leave your planets alone.

Suggestions Galore!

Postby AdmiralVGamer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 pm

This is an overly long list of suggestions, not I have not become part of the infiltrator program yet, but have been watching and studying this game, these are the suggestions I have come up with.

1. THE MUST HAVE: multiple accounts, I know you said you wouldn't do it but to be unable to play any other race then your initial pick without starting your entire empire over again never to return to it (specifically planets you might have gained for backing to a certain level or the super populated starting planets), that is a little ridiculous, I suggest you can only have one account on a single galaxy, the limit of accounts being the same as the amount of races, you can still move between galaxy but not to one with an alternate account. People would never be able to experience the full game without losing everything they worked for with one of the races.

2. Scavenging: Ships can have a utility that allows them to scavenge other ships, taking weapons, supplies, and just overall looting a ship's corpse, sometimes they might even find a surviving officer who had not gotten away from the ship but had not been killed in it either.

3. Boarding: Ships with offensive troop carriers can attempt to board another ship at a large disadvantage, all troops, crew, and officers on an enemy ship will receive huge de-buffs until either the power station or command deck is taken, once both are taken the crew will alert their owner, who will then decide to attempt to re-take one of them, to do as much damage to the ship on the way out, invade any enemy ship docked with the ship, take complete control for a more detailed plan, or simply run like hell for an exit (after 5 seconds if the commander has not responded the crew will automatically do this).

4. Broadside ships: I have heard you talking about making Juggernaut broadside based ships but what about battleship class and capital ship class broadside based ships, that is something I really want.

5. Explosive storage: A ship's explosion size is related with its cargo, modules, ammo, and other items placed on the ship in addition to just the weapons

6. Some advanced scanners and other modules on a ship can increase its accuracy, specifically advanced computer networks

7.New module: Advanced Computer Network; These systems increase their specialties hugely but there can only be a few on a ship, the smallest ships only having one the dreadnaughts having 4 and the capitol having 8, they have a lower CP cost then most but are very limited in number per ship and cost a decent amount of resources.

8. A Capital Ship's components do not take nearly as much CP as a normal ship's components

9. Evac: The player can ensure his officers safety by ordering abandonment of a ship, with four options: let the ship decay with a normal AOE explosion after abandonment, let the ship live as a deactivated ship that can work as a shield, an abandoned ship can be re-acquired as long as there is enough CP space for it, if not then the ship can still be towed to a planet and wait in orbit until there is, the third option is a minimal AOE explosion that will only be available with a certain utility, the last one is extra AOE which is activated by a different utility, this will overload the core and act as an essential bomb while the crew escapes.

10. New Race: The description would be too hard to get right for this idea and I do not have a good way of transferring my drawings at the moment, which are quite crude and don't do my grand design justice, I would much rather use voice chat to explain this idea as well as expand on the rest, please message me if you want to hear, I am on a tight schedule at the moment though so I would have to make arrangements. To put it in a very broad and un-satisfying way it is rather then the nice and beautiful designs of ships most races have like the ones in the background behind this post, they have crude, mix-matched, slopped together ships covered in a misc. pile of different pieces of different types of plate metal, some parts of the ship are human, a few are their own, some are Veru'nas, and so-on.

11. Advanced Spying: This is the most in-depth and detailed of all of my suggestions, rather than having spies work as a simple method of information gathering, I created this idea with a huge amount to deal with the fact that I am a bit of a WWII fan (General Patton for the win) and have based it off of some of the tactics and strategies in that, which is pretty much as recent as you can get with the really dangerous and true spec ops and spying stuff. It is extremely long though, a true wall of words. This will include advancements and extreme additions to spying and counter spying. First of all spies will gain experience in whatever field they perform the most, these include hacking, captivating/assassinating, raiding, and sabotage. Sectors will occasionally fail, that is just part of life, with a rate of around once a week, these only take time to fix, not resources, the sector will be down for a period of time (undecided, would require testing to see how much) however if multiple fail that is a sign of spies within the planet, spies can sabotage sectors with a certain risk and success rate, if a sabotage is failed then the spy will become detected and must attempt to flee, the spy will go into an underground state where they do not do any kind of activity, not even the lowest level information gathering. The spy's owner can bring them out of underground, risk of being caught is much higher, if a cargo based ship is docked the best bet is to hitch a ride on it, once onboard an enemy ship the spy is safe and can wait to be taken to another planet owned by that player, however if the ship chosen was actually a war ship the spy may end up killed in a battle where the ship is killed or a victim of the environment (this will be explained later). Hacking risks and rewards depend on the target hacked, sectors that can be hacked are factories, star ports, and research stations, factories might yield the designs of a module, star ports can reveal the locations of planets this player owns and generally where some of his/her fleet is research stations can give one of the in progress projects or some of the proto-types from earlier projects. Officers at military academies and on docked ships can be assassinated or captured, however the highest ranked officers will be extremely difficult and the larger the ship or the more populated the planet (for military academies) the harder it is to assassinate, with capital ships being literally impossible to assassinate a officer on it. Universally the larger the population of the planet a spy is on the more likely they are to be caught but the better the information they will receive, spies are the only unit able to get through an enemy's fortress shield, officers can leave a fortress shield but not enter one. Raiding can be done to prisons or warehouses. Warehouses will yield a portion of any of the supplies held in it, Prisons will give you control over any captive (officer or spy) that you previously owned and has been taken to that prison, raiding will always take multiple spies to be able to take and the difficulty depends on the population of the planet. When not doing one of these and not detected a spy will automatically collect low level data from the citizens that can inform you of simple rumors, perhaps eventually over a long time it might yield some prototypes or where some of the player's other planets may be, perhaps rumors on the locations of ships. Counter Spying is performed by spies in a military academe. In counter spying you create your own search patterns and systematic elimination that will detect spies, the more counter intelligence personal the better the chances of detaining a spy.

12. Prisons: Any officer or spy taken captive will be held in a make-shift cell on the ship that takes them until offloaded into a prison, prisoners can be traded back to their original owners, this is the one trade that is enforced by the server where each must trade and no combat can occur between the two until the trade is over and both have left the agreed upon trade area, the reason the trade should be enforced is because often it would be a trade between people who are at war, causing it to be extremely difficult to perform this kind of trade as tensions would be high and it would more likely than not end in both having an ambush set up for the other.

13. Environment: Having the universe only contain planets, suns, and ships is a bit boring don’t you think? I believe there should be asteroid fields and belts dangerous for ships to attempt to go through but offer a form of cover for the ones that can handle it, as the asteroids mess with sensors. Black holes are another thing to be careful of, black holes will move slowly around the universe, they will never go into solar systems but if a fleet isn’t careful they can be wiped out by nature, no officer or spy can survive a ship death caused by a black hole.

Question 1: how will the story system of global events work for people who can’t be online that day? I think it would be unfair that someone misses an event simply due to work or being on vacation or something. Can they send their AI to do it and then watch what the AI did and how the event turned out? I mean it just doesn't make sense as you would be leaving people out no matter what, in one part of the world someone is at work and it is mid-day while at another it is night and they are online, it just wouldn't make any sense, and even if it was all in one time zone a lot of people have stuff to do at night and few people have the same work/school hours.

14: My favorite 2 suggestions however I will not reveal unless hired, one in specific, not trying to hold it hostage but the reason is I have developed it for several years and think it could be ground changing for the RTS genre, even though it is sort of simple (a thousand times more so then my advanced spying idea) no other game has done it properly to my knowledge and I don't want to just give something like that away, I hope you understand. also I am only 16, though I have taken a college course on video game designing, I have designed games like this in my note book in spare time for years, I am also quite mature for my age and hope that you do not judge me by age but by behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit #1

15: Expansion on the race idea: I have had trouble coming up with a design for the actual race and a name for them but have a basic description of them, as for the ships that is much more detailed. This race is nimble, and slightly raptor like in appearance. The race is the much more grimy and selfish of the races, their ships are slapped together, the engines bulge out as giant fire spewing cylinders that look like they might as well be duck taped together. All of the ship's hull except the bridge are parts of other race's ships, the pieces are bound together with mix-matched sheets of metal ranging from Titanium to Copper, this system of covering is also what the race uses for armor. The race's windows resemble circular port-holes caked in dirt and grime, they also might use some Acaean pieces and vines wrapped around the ship to hold some of the parts together. The race has a slight buff for ramming (something I forgot to mention that I believe should be added to races besides the Acaeans), boarding, and scavenging (which is installed on all ships and does not require a utility, unlike other races), the de-buff for items made through techs you have not yet researched (this is something I forgot to mention in my original post, see number 16) is able to be removed much quicker and more easily however all of this comes at a cost. This race is much further behind on research then any other race and has a decreased rate of research, they have better engines as well but its modules are much weaker and easier to be broken during battle compared to most races. The race has a craving for wealth beyond any other's, they are much less resistant to being broken or converted (something else I forgot to mention that goes under the prison file, will be in number 17) and are easier for spies to infiltrate. Of course all of this will need balancing and testing before implementation. There are a couple other factors of this race but they rely on my biggest idea, which again I do not want to give away.

16: Military Academies: This is the home of your officers, spies, crews, and any other military personal. A Military Academy is where troops, officers, and spies are trained and made, it also has an operation that ties into my big idea which I refuse to unveil (however this is probably the most important operation of the Military Academy, except maybe the counter-spy operations). Military Academies store officers who have been moved off of a ship that are in fact owned by you, as well as where counter-spies work from. Military Academies offer the ability to remove the de-buff of using the items that you have yet to research, this takes time and consumes the module/ship (yes if it is something such as a Dreadnaught Mk II then it requires the consumption of a Dreadnaught Mk II), the more CP an item takes the longer it takes to remove the de-buff on the item, sometimes the item can take multiple hours to have its de-buff removed.

17: Torture & Conversion: Officers and spies can be converted through torture, which will reveal certain levels of tech, the resistance and tech revealed to this depends on the experience of the character, where as a beginning officer will usually submit on the first or second try an Admiral or top list spy is impossible to break. The officers and spies that are possible to break but are too high up for conventional methods to succeed will require you to kill off prisoners originally owned by the same player as that officer/spy in front of the officer/spy, the highest ones will give you huge amounts of info, from techs to locations to ship designs but will take many, many executions to break, meaning something like 30 or 40 executed (rank of executed does not matter, all have the same effect). Converted officers and spies will have a high de-buff (starting with all abilities completely unavailable) that is reduced over time until they eventually reach their full effectiveness again. I originally decided not to include it due to the fact that I thought it might be a little too... dark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit #2

Question 2: What happens if a huge player decides to send a single ship to a battle and then wait for that zone of conflict to end then send in another ship toward that enemy fleet so one ship does more damage and is stronger?

18: The ability to make custom formations, I have an interface idea where it is a visual one, where it is a 64X64 square of empty nodes where you can turn the nodes on to create the formation, nodes are symbols for the locations of ships. I know you already plan on doing this but this is jus one way that might work.

Edit #3
(yet another item I forgot to add)

19: Planet & System Naming: Planets and solar systems can be named in addition to their given number, solar systems can only be named by the person who owns the majority of it, no solar system or planet can be named the same as another, nor can they use the same name as a planet or solar system's number. This is a second way of searching and adds customization to the planets in addition to the planet skins, that way you have a far easier way to organize the planets of science from the factories then simply memorizing their generic number based names and/or locations.

20: Not sure of how exactly to make a 3d model of this but the Arcade Origins Skin Pack for both ships and planets that replaces them with 16-bit style versions, obviously much less detail but it would be quite interesting, perhaps make these an employee only kit, I wouldn't mind not having it I just thought it would look really cool to see and it would be very distinguished, allowing the employees to really stand out among the crowd with a fleet of 16-bit ships in a 1080p universe. I always liked the old sprite style as well as this slick futuristic style.

Edit #4

21: Forgot a small part of the Anti-spying system: you can set a reward for every spy cought by a civillian, creating a minor balancing act, if you go too far you lose resources and some obsessed citizens may pop up who falsely accuse others in order to recieve money, waisting time and resources, but go too little and a spy might never be caught.

Edit #5

22: Custom awards and ranks: Within both alliances and individual empires there should be the ability to make your own ranks, such as at XP Level 340 a ship officer can be called an Admiral on one empire while it might just be an XP Level of 280 for another and XP Level 382 for that player is something like Ultra Supreme LOL Commander of Cat Space (because why not, its a customized name you know some one is going to do something like that), however these do not affect how quickly an officer will gain new abilities but rather just for the sake of organizing officers into most important and such with varying levels of organization so someone who wants a more basic system can have it at intervals of 50 levels while someone who has OCD might have a separate name for every 5 levels. In alliances ranks are appointed by the alliance leader, ranks signify how trusted you are and what decisions you can make, an alliance leader can give players varying levels of access customized from a selection, such as the ability to invite another player or kick a member or even rank players up to one level below his or her self. In the empire awards can be given, there will be a default list but you can change and add to or remove from the list such as remove the POW medal and replace it with the TBAFP (Too Bad A** for Prison) medal awarded for escaping prison rather then simply being awarded for having been prisoner and traded back as well as escaping. In an alliance medals are specifically designated by the alliance leader, these are supposed to be awarded only for major contributions to the alliance, such as the Iron Heart for winning a major battle and sacrificing a lot of ships to do so but each medal has a different description, by each medal I mean there could be two members with the Golden Eagle award, one has the description: awarded for breaking a major blockade, and the other has the description: Awarded for getting desperately needed supplies to a major battle.

Edit #6

23: Testing server; Perhaps have a test type of server where players can test how to evolve their empire and what races suit them, generating a few AI, 1 dummy AI that sends out ships that act as targets to test guns on, perfect manuvering, and adjust tactics, and 1 player, the player can use a saved empire that is currently in use on another server, this allows players to test fire different weapons and hulls, similar to the dev server the building time is reduced and your first planet has a huge starting population and large resource pool to jump start testing. Crafting, research, XP gain, and several other mechanics are turned off so that the player can not advance his place in the normal universe through this side set. This is just an idea as a way for players to test new strategies without completely destroying your fleet on the real server and a way to see how good armor is on this section of this ship and how much damage this weapon has and how to combine and mix until they have a set of ship designs sutible for them.

Edit #7

24: One of the secrets is revealed; apparently some one had an idea about moral and posted it here, this was a major part of the lesser of my two secret ideas, no RTS I know of has ever done it in good detail (the only strategy game I have ever seen do it in any detail was Civilization), something this idea refers to and connects a large portion of my other ideas. The moral system idea affects different species differently, certain species may have requirements to keep the moral high, like Veru'nas might begin to loose moral after too long without battle and have an extra de-buff to moral whenever they lose a battle, however as a balance they do not get a de-buff in military conflict unlike other races when moral is too low and have an extra 1.25X buff to it when moral is high, and my still un-named race will loose some if there isn't enough of an income with valuable minerals, similarly they get don't loose mining when moral is low and have an extra 1.25X buff when moral is high, for humans its research, for Azendi its intelligence on other empires, for Cauldron Born its a lack of production of parts (weapons, computers, ships, anything) and/or perhaps trade with other empires (especially human), as for Acaeans I am unsure. There are multiple ways to keep your moral up but over time no matter what you do if you loose to much in any area, ways to improve your moral include decorating the city with advertisements pro to the empire (a nice way to say propaganda), enacting trades and agreements (this does not work as well with Veru'nas, works extra well in deals with humans for Cauldron Born), winning battles, gaining large amounts of tech, hiring public leading figures, and other activities, spies can also damage another player's moral by tearing down the propaganda and putting up their own and assassinating public figures as well as implanting rumors about the government, I don't know, taking kids to do dangerous experiments on or killing innocent people or something. The moral also affects the extremely good idea that I will not uncover.

25: Another spy fix; I forgot to mention that spies are 1.25 times as likely to get caught when they are in a planet that is protected by a fortress shield when they do anything other then causing a prison break, large amount of new spy info is also part of the new section above.

(expect to see some concept art of the un-named race's ships soon, I do not have any good image editing software right now and am much better with a computer then the paper I have to use so it will be a rough sketch with quite a few pencil marks) update: I have it done but don't have a way to upload a clear image where you can actually see it in detail to the computer, sorry. And please if you know of any good non-virus filled free image editing software that I could use let me know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man I was immature and dumb when I wrote this.
I cringe at myself as a child.
Some of this was just immaturity and idiocy, but some of the suggestions were really nice as well in my opinion.
Last edited by AdmiralVGamer on Thu May 25, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 21 times in total.
AdmiralVGamer

Re: Suggestions Galore!

Postby UnicomNexus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 pm

1. Idk. Ask the devs.
2. Planned
3. Not sure but it's probably going to be implemented with bombers?
4. I think it's planned.
5.Planned
6.Planned
7.Probably in a tech/probably planned
8.Capital Ships don't take CP, you can only have one deployed at a time.
9.Planned (only a few ships can put an escape pod)
10.I think that it's the "Pirate" section of the Human race
11.Planned
12.I don't exactly know. It may be planned
13.I think it's planned
14.Hmmn, For me, I would say that I would like global events to be like 2 weeks to 1 month.
15.Are you trying to get yourself hired? xD Well, it's seems interesting. And by what you say, age doesn't matter. Over here, it's not age that makes the difference, it's the way you act. I'm sure you're quite mature for your age by the way you already typed. :)
Edit: Oh yea, if you want to know, I'm 14 to relate to you.
You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win it by making the other die for their country.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me. I'll help to the best of my abilities.
~Jaren

Roboris Per Scientia - Strength Through Science

na_sypheria: My body turns calories into code.
UnicomNexus

Postby firespier » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:26 am

to the 1. part
as mentioned before it is possible to get the techs of other races by various means and use them
if you rly want to play more than one you will have to buy another vopy of the game
but keep in mind that if you rly play 5 empires at the same time and you dont have like several hours a day you wont be able to play them to a maximum
far better to go with one empire which you can devote your entire time into
1. Everything which can go wrong will go wrong
2.Never underestimate human stupidness
firespier

Postby Aetherblade » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:28 am

1. We might do this, but we probably would only let you log into 1 of these at any one time at the same time. Do keep in mind though, that you can gain (almost) all the tech the other races possess through conquest, bartering and spies. Also, if you DO decide that you want to restart, you can save almost everything about your current empire, aside from the planets and location. Research, ships, officers and such can all be used if you decide to come back to it later.

2. Planed.

3. We have talked about homeworld style boarding craft before. I'm not sure if we decided to actually plan this, or that it's a nice-if-we-get-it feature. I'll ask the others tonight during live stream :]

4. Any hull can be broadsiders, (almost) all ships have side ways weapon slots. As we make more and more hull specifications for people to unlock, I'm sure broadside specialists will be among them among all hull sizes.

5. Planned.

6. Planned, though a bit later.

7. Maybe. Though we wont hard limit stuff most likely.

8. WE dont even know how much CP they will be xD.

9. Abandoning ship planned, not sure about retaking ships. We have it planned that you can salvage them, but I'm not sure if direct capturing was a possibility. The core overload utility is a nice idea that I'll keep in mind for sure!

10. I'm pretty sure that we wont be adding races for a pretty long time, seeing that the planned races are not even all in yet and those need a lot of work and expanding upon. If you do have a more complete idea about them, with some nice details, post it here on the forum somewhere. If enough people like it, we could maybe add it as an NPC faction if not a real race (yet). (not promising, but who knows :])

11. Spying, under intelligence, is going to be pretty expansive. I'm not sure if we have all your ideas already, so I'll copy paste this to a google doc so I can see what you have here that we dont have yet.

12. POW's and POW camps a definitly a cool idea. Where you maybe can trade them back to their former commander, kill or try to convert them.

13. Planned

14. AI will always only be defensive, so you can't ever send it to go and murder stuff somewhere. We will keep day/night cycles world wide in mind when planning this stuff of course, but if you miss it, you simply miss it. There will be enough of these, so you'll catch them :).

15. Well, aside from this wall-o-text we dont really have anything to judge you by anyway. If you want to get hired, send me a PM with your skills and what you think you can do for the team, thats mostly all we look at.
Guide to the game:
Link
Game tutorial videos: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2901

Want to keep up to date on the playtesting / server status, or just talk to the developers? The steam group is a good way to get in touch! We are always in chat on Thursdays and often on the days as well to talk with you guys about whatever :). Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NovusA ... filtrators
Aetherblade

Postby Hurlin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Aetherblade wrote:15. Well, aside from this wall-o-text we dont really have anything to judge you by anyway. If you want to get hired, send me a PM with your skills and what you think you can do for the team, thats mostly all we look at.

I know this is off topic but I did this and got no reply.
Hurlin

Postby AdmiralVGamer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Hurlin wrote:I know this is off topic but I did this and got no reply.

Did you post it under the correct section and have a title like this? Are you sure you submitted it properly?
AdmiralVGamer

Postby Hurlin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 am

AdmiralVGamer wrote:Did you post it under the correct section and have a title like this? Are you sure you submitted it properly

im talking about giving devs PMs...
Hurlin

Postby Aetherblade » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:46 am

Hurlin wrote:I know this is off topic but I did this and got no reply.

Do it again, I just cleaned out my PM box which had reached it limit. I'll read it :).
Guide to the game:
Link
Game tutorial videos: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2901

Want to keep up to date on the playtesting / server status, or just talk to the developers? The steam group is a good way to get in touch! We are always in chat on Thursdays and often on the days as well to talk with you guys about whatever :). Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NovusA ... filtrators
Aetherblade

Postby Hurlin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:06 am

Aetherblade wrote:Do it again, I just cleaned out my PM box which had reached it limit. I'll read it :).

sent!
Hurlin

Postby AdmiralVGamer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 pm

firespier wrote:to the 1. part
as mentioned before it is possible to get the techs of other races by various means and use them
if you rly want to play more than one you will have to buy another vopy of the game
but keep in mind that if you rly play 5 empires at the same time and you dont have like several hours a day you wont be able to play them to a maximum
far better to go with one empire which you can devote your entire time into

The point of having the 5 empires is more of experimentation, so that you can know which races work for you and understand it, and probably ending with maybe 2 empires, one human and one of ___ race, the biggest problem is when they want to change race they have to remove planets, that may be fine for a player who just began and decided he didn't like it but for a player who has been on for say 3 years building up the population of his/her planets and has all of these cool planet skins and then a new race that fits his/her play style almost perfectly is added, unless he/she conquers and holds several alien planets that can sustain the production requirements he/she can't really use it efficiently without sacrificing his/her entire collection of planets and any skins he/she may have used on those planets.
Last edited by AdmiralVGamer on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralVGamer

Next

Return to Fan Creations