Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

See whats going on in the Novus Aeterno universe.

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby DeathEnters » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:39 pm

Never thought of that, and I definitely don't want you to change your lore because I love the backstories of all the races and factions. Well that was my only idea so I guess i'll start going through my gaming community and try to rack up some more support for you guys because I really want this game!
DeathEnters
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby DeathEnters » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:45 pm

I haven't spoken to them however we would be direct competition for Gemini warlords, RPG + RTS strategy game, normally publishers try to avoid that as a good chance new players looking for a sci fi Strategy RPG will be picking between Gemini warlords or Hades 9. im not saying we are the same, Gemini focuses more on a 4x RPG where we focus on more RTS RPG (and we are an MMO) however we are close enough that their publisher would probably see us as competition, OR request we change our IP and become Gemini warloards Online or somthing.

p.s. it is an awesome game ^^[/quote]

It would be cool if the Publisher did take you on, because players would probably try your f2p game first and really love all the space fleet combat but would prefer a more solo rpg and they could see SGW was similar to your game so the marketing would be easy and possibly increase the fan-base for both games, but I also see at the same time how it could be counter-productive to both games.
DeathEnters
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Shadows » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Another thing to consider is that the publisher reaps many of the benefits if the game is successful. Granted, much of it would be put back into the game... but not all of it. Honestly, I think you guys deserve all of the resources and everything that comes out of Hades 9. So much work has gone into NA and Hades that I just wouldn’t feel right if I knew the publisher was profiting for that hard work. Where were they a year ago?

Anyway, if you guys think you’re ahead of schedule... I say screw a publisher. Even good publishers can turn salty real quick. Once combat gets into the game, and if it’s good... the rest can come later. Make the combat phenomenal and you’ll have us backers to promote your game. Keeping an open line with the community also helps. Going dark for a second time would NOT be beneficial, and a publisher might require that.

Publishers usually care about one thing, immediate profit. Sure, some play the long game... but a quick return on investment is really all they care about.

We’ve waited a few years, we can wait one more.
Shadows
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Nick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:41 am

DeathEnters wrote:I but I also see at the same time how it could be counter-productive to both games.


No one knows what would happen, but because of the possibility of this, it's a huge risk that if I was them, I honestly would avoid.

Shadows wrote:Anyway, if you guys think you’re ahead of schedule... I say screw a publisher. Even good publishers can turn salty real quick. Once combat gets into the game, and if it’s good... the rest can come later. Make the combat phenomenal and you’ll have us backers to promote your game. Keeping an open line with the community also helps.


This is our plan at the moment, and personally, I think its a good one. Its success will really balance on how understanding our backers are so hopefully your opinions are in the majority xD for all our sakes.
Nick
User avatar
Suit Battle Armour Commander
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Out to Lunch

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Flatlander » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 pm

My experience with Publishers is as follows:

I watched Developer Videos for a game called Bloodline Champions. The developers were very excited and passionate about their game.
In every video they stated "This game is 100% skill based, so the only reason you lose is you were not good enough."

They got a publisher (Funcom) soon after the game released and the next patch added in Progression. (Was the big thing at the time)
Now not only were veteran players better than you, they also had better items and traits than you.
This completely broke the game and made it unplayable and they went from 5,000 players online to 50 in literally 1 week.

The company later released the game (without a publisher) as Battlerite and they now are pretty successful making a game that is 100% skill with no progression. (They do have cosmetic loot boxes, which in my opinion are amazing and I will buy them on every game I play)
Flatlander
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 am

Flatlander wrote:My experience with Publishers is as follows:

I watched Developer Videos for a game called Bloodline Champions. The developers were very excited and passionate about their game.
In every video they stated "This game is 100% skill based, so the only reason you lose is you were not good enough."

They got a publisher (Funcom) soon after the game released and the next patch added in Progression. (Was the big thing at the time)
Now not only were veteran players better than you, they also had better items and traits than you.
This completely broke the game and made it unplayable and they went from 5,000 players online to 50 in literally 1 week.

The company later released the game (without a publisher) as Battlerite and they now are pretty successful making a game that is 100% skill with no progression. (They do have cosmetic loot boxes, which in my opinion are amazing and I will buy them on every game I play)



That is a great example of a worst case scenario, unfortunately, things like this happen more often than not.
Nick
User avatar
Suit Battle Armour Commander
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Out to Lunch

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Flatlander » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 am

I have a question.
You had a publisher for a short amount of time, do you feel it was "worth" it?

I think that is really the information that will answer this question.
--If they provided tools and personnel that really helped with your project, and you do not think you can be successful without it, then you should get a publisher.
--But as you said earlier, if you think you can get things done quicker without a publisher, and you do not need their personnel or experience, then stay Indie.
Flatlander
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Shadows » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Cosmetics are all well and good, but they can really get ridiculous. Especially in a game where strategy is involved, it's important to know what units you are up against. And the visual monicker of such things lends hand to a good feel for the game.

I'm not sure what we will be able to own in Hades anymore (owning planets still a thing?). Perhaps we will be able to get cosmetics for things we own like stations and planets.

I'm also not against units having a skin or two, but if you have a new skin every month or so things start getting ridiculous. Unless the skins are purely color, and the outlines remain 100% the same. I guess it all depends.
Shadows
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Flatlander » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 am

I'd want cosmetics it to be like Rocket League.

You should be able to change every part of a ship except the Hull.

The Hull is what defines what ship-type it is, but you can change the color, texture, add decals, change the thruster animation, and even add physical ornaments.

Making Cosmetics that can be "universal" and work with all ships, but if you want your entire fleet to use them, you need 1 cosmetic per ship, would be good in my opinion.
Flatlander
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am

Re: Indie or Publisher, let's have a discussion!

Postby Shadows » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah, I could get behind that as long as they are NQ created. I’ve really loved the looks and styles of their ships and old color schemes for the old cosmetics. I personally wouldn’t want hello kitty ships all over the nitty gritty hades universe. *cough* star citizen.
Shadows
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron