First Step to Alpha

See whats going on in the Novus Aeterno universe.

First Step to Alpha

Postby Aetherblade » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 am

(If you guys haven’t checked out our first post last December, please do so. It contains vital information about our development so far: http://forum.novusaeterno.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14825)

Hey everyone!

We have a bunch of different topics we would like to touch upon today, such as the status of our website and Discord, our new game server, and various ingame things we are working on right now.

New Server
Good news from the frontlines, we have managed to get our grubby paws on some new server hardware for the alpha release!

For the nerds among us, here are the stats:

• 4 x Intel Xeon Eight-Core X7550 2.00GHz CPU
  • So 32 core/64 thread
  • 64GB DDR3 RAM

We have invested a lot of effort into making the game very well optimized on the servers, so this will be more than enough to get us going the alpha, though we can very easily add more servers to help handle the load.

The server architecture is designed is with extreme focus on multithreading. Every element of the game is divided into separate threads, which lead to our unique server configuration.

This design logic helps protect against total game lag. This means that if one system is overloaded, such as flagship refitting, it wouldn't have negative effects on other elements, like combat or movement.
It also allows us to split up a single element into multiple threads at times of high load, which will also help combat lag.

Once refined (all MMO architecture require optimization after going live, there is no way to simulate true population) with this system we can dynamically give more or less priority to specific elements of the game as needed, such as for massive fleet battles with tens of thousands of ships

Space Stuff
This is not really a topic where we have to say much, we mostly just want to show off a little :D. We have been doing work again on some space environments, which I wanted to show off a little.

These planets are in-engine, and although they are work in progress they do already show how much detail we can put into planets. This will include meteor impacts, weather patterns, temperature scaling, sea levels, and much more. With these new tools that are being developed for our use, we will be able to make epic looking planets, nebulae, asteroids, and more. Very happy with the results we are achieving now.

The website
A quick and dirty status update on the website, forum, and Discord.

• Website: Code and styling are nearly done, the main thing that we are currently working on is getting ingame footage for the “Gameplay” page and landing page.
  • Forum: The new forum will be integrated into the website as a whole and will be much better organized, so it’s easier to navigate around and find everything you are looking for. The forum is also mostly done, we are still working on some back-end stuff to add features, but some of that can be done while the forum is live, potentially.
  • Discord: The Discord will go live today! We’ll probably have to sort out some minor kinks as they are discovered, but we’re looking forward to hanging out there with you guys: https://discord.gg/TGRBxyq

Flagship internals
Nick has also been doing more work on the internals of the flagships, and we wanted to show some Work in Progress shots of that with you guys.

While a lot of details need to be added or changed in the scene still, the main way to make it come to life and become beautiful is great lighting, which we will be showing off in future updates.

This is a top-down overview of the work-in-progress internals of the flagship under your control. The bridge and the rest of the command section are not included in this.

The internals of this flagship belongs to a super-carrier. As such a major part of the spinal corridor will be alongside the primary hangar bays.

The main corridor also provides access to many chambers that are focused on specific things. Above is the WiP medbay. We will probably use these rooms for specific missions, to provide lore, and so forth.

Nick made way more screenshots than I asked for, the rest of which I put into an Imgur collection with the screens already here: https://imgur.com/a/mMu1y
(As a side note, we’ll put all our future screenshots and such we use in updates there, if you want to have a look at them.)

Upcoming Pre-Order / Crowdfunding Discussion
In a couple of days we’d like to have a discussion with you guys to talk about the best ways to handle pre-ordering and crowdfunding, so let us know your thoughts on the subject if you want to pitch in!

We could use references to other campaigns you liked, personally Nick liked what They Are Billions did, also what kinds of rewards do you think would be interesting? keep these ideas in the back of your mind for this weekend's discussion.

That’s it for this week!
We’ll be putting out our next update in the coming couple of days!

- Nick, Matt, Dan, and Luuk

Website (under construction): http://www.hades9.com/
Discord: https://discord.gg/TGRBxyq
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hades9Game/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Hades9Game
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj6w867uhSKjwr3H3M55wBA?
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/hades9game
Aetherblade

Re: First Step to Alpha

Postby Lord Tyrius » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Awesome. Already lots of people arriving on the Discord, come join us if you haven't already :D
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby Flatlander » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 pm

I hope I will be able to change out the lighting and colors for the inside of my ship.
I want it Orange walls with green lighting!
Flatlander

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Flatlander wrote:I hope I will be able to change out the lighting and colors for the inside of my ship.
I want it Orange walls with green lighting!

That's actually not a bad idea for a cash shop item, different variations of internals with same structure just different lighting.
Nick
Suit Battle Armour Commander

Postby Flatlander » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am

The amount of money you will make from me with all the possible cosmetics is going to be ridiculous lol.

But worth it.
Flatlander

Postby Shadows » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 pm

I can tell exploration is going to be much more enjoyable (and meaningful) in Hades.
Shadows

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Shadows wrote:I can tell exploration is going to be much more enjoyable (and meaningful) in Hades.

Yes, so much so it will even be one of the best ways to "actively" research. you can take science ships with you and each unique system you visit they generate some Research points, which if you make it back to hades 9 alive you can put up on the player market. this way players could actually financially support themselves just by exploring.

This really is one of the core tenants in Hades 9, we want a living economy but we never want players to be forced to do tasks they do not enjoy just for profit.
Do you like combat? Sell the Commanders that are levelling up in every battle. (all player need higher-level commanders)
Do you like exploration? sell the RP you are generating (all players need research)

Then you have all the normal systems like mining, crafting, looting, etc to make money but those are common in space games and MMO's, however, we hated the concept of forcing people to do these few tasks if they wanted to financially prosper.
Nick
Suit Battle Armour Commander

Postby andy7042 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:54 am

wait so its not called novus anymore, now its hades 9?
andy7042

Postby andy7042 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:55 am

I like the new ships cant wait for the old ones but wouldn't it be a good idea to add the old ones as militia ships in the outskirts of space or like in stellaris when a rebellion happens they use those ships to fight against you, and one last thing am i going to be able to have hundreds of ships and multi task fighting in various systems or just small scale battles i can only imagine there being thousands of ships fighting in one system would that be possible?
andy7042

Postby Lord Tyrius » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 am

I know this is far in the future of development of hades 9, but are you planning to do global events that change the way most people play the game for a while? I'm thinking gw2 living world kind of events (if you're not familiar: after the campaign there is a story that is told in the open world, and events like an attacking faction gives unique quests and rewards for the players participating, and there is actual impact on the world, for example at one point the major city where everyone went to to craft/trade/etc was lost to an attacker and this functionality was relocated to a fort the orders put up in order to plan retaking the city, but even then it was mostly destroyed). In Hades this could be some alien force pushing in from the outside (which could be a mechanic anyway, the farther you get away from hades, with a collective efford required to keep them from getting grounds). Just throwing ideas, the kind of events could be very diverse, but I always felt like it felt cool to be part of this kind of global event, while at the same time offering unique gameplay (for a week or two people put aside there usual bussines to accomplish something)
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Return to Announcements