Update Timeframe

Interested in what the Devs are doing? Come take a look.

Re: Update Timeframe

Postby Therianwolf » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Looks like an invasion in progress

Edit: *googles advance wars* "the objective is to defeat the enemy army. There are two ways to defeat an opponent: destroy every one of the opponent's units on the map or capture the opponent's headquarters.[1] However, some maps have specific objectives, such as capturing a certain number of cities to claim victory"
Ah… I see now
Therianwolf

Postby exioce » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:23 am

Quick question, is the avatar/bridge UI optional or mandatory? I've just thinking that many players may want to by-pass all the shiny, and go for a less resource intensive UI that's quicker to interact with, especially in the heat of battle.
exioce

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:14 am

exioce wrote:Quick question, is the avatar/bridge UI optional or mandatory? I've just thinking that many players may want to by-pass all the shiny, and go for a less resource intensive UI that's quicker to interact with, especially in the heat of battle.

'In the heat of battle' the bridge is off, everything that is done in combat is done via the same interface in the bridge, so you never need to see or interact with the bridge in any way during combat. the only reason that in the video we keep jumping out of RTS view back to the bridge is because... SO SEXY...

the bridge effectively is to make navigating the tedious UIs easier and sexier.
Nick
Suit Battle Armour Commander

Postby Lotsalegos98 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Who decided for hex tiles? Give them a hearty handshake for me. Question on ground combat. will it be similar to Civ? with single group combat or more like imperialism with a large scale battle micromanaging the individual unit (how ever small the get) on a section of land to take the tile? Or will it be like VGA where you just set troops down and hope you do well with the RNG?
Lotsalegos98

Postby Sypheria » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:48 pm

I haven't played Civ since maybe Civ 1 or 2 so I couldn't really tell you how it compares; but ground combat is going to be a lot like Advanced Wars (1, 2, Days of Ruin), and I'm told some mechanics are Civ-like.

We are also adding on top of that by having a cycle take place over several "simultaneous turns". (which is all calculated behind the scene using your general directions and the Rules of Engagement, which function like tactics but for ground troops, you set for your units.
Mechanically, its like being a general giving orders to your troops who then go out to execute your orders and you give periodic updates on their objectives while they are in the field.

After a cycle has been played out, you'll be able to view it in the steps that occurred.
This also allows you to view what happened days, weeks, months, maybe years ago in both the overarching scenario and on a confrontational basis.
This is something we might integrate into the website so players can view it on the go or maybe share their "replay" with friends.

You may have your troops moving down a road to suddenly be ambushed from the fog of war; because your units are ambushed they take damage before they can retaliate and will do so with diminished manpower.
If you have vision on your attackers before hand, both sides will take damage as though they had full manpower the entire time.

Additionally, we may have single/multiplayer missions taking place in premade scenarios on the ground in which players can play at their own pace instead of relying on the global cycle speed of the game.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Lotsalegos98 wrote:Who decided for hex tiles? Give them a hearty handshake for me. Question on ground combat. will it be similar to Civ? with single group combat or more like imperialism with a large scale battle micromanaging the individual unit (how ever small the get) on a section of land to take the tile? Or will it be like VGA where you just set troops down and hope you do well with the RNG?

it will run like Civ but with a bit more detail, and on a more zoomed in scale, i.e.buildings will take up multiple hexs and the number of units will be much greater then typical fights in civ.
Nick
Suit Battle Armour Commander

Postby NameAceSNIPER » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Hello,

So for the tile system will we be seeing tiles that possibly are more suited for a certain building, or even tiles that restrict certain building types. I assume that, as in the earlier version, different planets will have different habitability levels. I know this already affects the population growth on said planet, but will these various planet types also affect the level of efficiency of different buildings. An example being a barren planet lacking minerals or a planet that is very rocky being hard to navigate with military units, or said military units maybe getting an advantage in such terrain? Not sure if you are allowed to talk about such details yet, but I was just wondering.

Thanks.
NameAceSNIPER

Postby Sypheria » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Yes. ™
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Sypheria » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:10 am

Some debugging going on.

Sypheria