State of the Game #1 - Sneak Peak

Interested in what the Devs are doing? Come take a look.

State of the Game #1 - Sneak Peak

Postby Aetherblade » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Greetings Generals,

Today we have a state-of-the-game video for you guys! It shows the progress made up until a few days ago as well as a sneak peak into a future feature that we are currently working on.

Watch on youtube.com

In addition to what has been shown in the video, here are a few items that we have been working on since our last update:
  • The research system is basically complete. The GUI needs some final touches, but at this stage it is mostly down to creating much more content for it to unlock.
  • Smaller ships, cruiser hulls and smaller, now function in squadrons instead of as solitary ships. This looks much more interesting on the screen, but also allows for more flexible designs, AND is easier on the servers!
  • Units now have health bars! The icons over the units that were used to show what kind of hull was being used is now also used as the health bar. The are still some tweaks that are being made to make it easier to see on hostile ships, but on friendly ships it's already a great help to keep your units alive.
  • Ships in formations are now spread out more so they don’t share the same space on screen, so ships don’t clip into each other anymore.
  • We have also implemented the first version of our new options menu. It’s not quite done yet, but it already has some new features and is designed to be easily added to in the future.
  • That one thing being sneak peaked in the video :).

State of the Game updates will be used in between Dev Blogs to keep you guys up to date on our progress when there is not yet a new Dev Blog planned on a major feature or tool. We hope you guys like these smaller updates as much as the larger blogs!

Our next Dev Blog will go in depth about our plans, ideas, and the current state of this sneak-peaked feature.

Cheers,
The Taitale team!
Guide to the game:
Link
Game tutorial videos: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2901

Want to keep up to date on the playtesting / server status, or just talk to the developers? The steam group is a good way to get in touch! We are always in chat on Thursdays and often on the days as well to talk with you guys about whatever :). Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NovusA ... filtrators
Aetherblade

Re: State of the Game #1 - Sneak Peak

Postby Lord Tyrius » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:13 pm

This gives quite a good impression on what the game plays like currently. Well done :D
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby NameAceSNIPER » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:17 pm

It's amazing to see how far this game has come and evolved since I first became an infiltrator. The game looks amazing and can't wait to see more updates like these and the future Dev Blogs. Keep up the great work Novus Team!!
NameAceSNIPER

Postby Urillch » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:01 am

Quick question since i couldn't find it on the forums. So the game isn't up for testing or anything like there is no way to play it right now.
Urillch

Postby Lord Tyrius » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:56 am

Yes, at this point in time only the devs and a little testing team arte playing. Updates are coming so fast, that the builds are almost outdated by the time anyone else but the devs have had time to test :P
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
Lord Tyrius

Postby Aetherblade » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Testing is currently a bit like this:

in house tweaking by devs with direct access to the editor is basically realtime:
1. make tweak
2. start the game in the editor to check
3. test and tweak ingame (most tweaks while running unity dont save, so you need to remember what you are tweaking)
4. go to 1.

If we want to do this with testers, it becomes:
1, make tweak
2. make build (takes 5-10 mins)
3. upload to google drive (takes 1-2 mins)
4. testers download 1.5-1.8GB file
5. test
6. go to 1

So, its a lot faster usually to test with people who are on the team in most cases, though there are definitely things we need more people for such as combat testing and just to get general feedback. Once the game is polished a lot more to a point where a build stays valid for a longer time this will become less of an issue, especially once we have the patcher for the game fixed up for this version of our game so the whole client doesn't have to get downloaded after each change.
Guide to the game:
Link
Game tutorial videos: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2901

Want to keep up to date on the playtesting / server status, or just talk to the developers? The steam group is a good way to get in touch! We are always in chat on Thursdays and often on the days as well to talk with you guys about whatever :). Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NovusA ... filtrators
Aetherblade

Postby Shadows » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Just do it right ;P

Looking good so far!
Shadows

Postby Flatlander » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Looks pretty awesome.

I'm not sure if running around the ship to each console will get annoying or not, but aesthetically it looks great.
Flatlander

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Flatlander wrote:Looks pretty awesome.

I'm not sure if running around the ship to each console will get annoying or not, but aesthetically it looks great.

Then just stay at the main console, everything is there on the UI it's just different buttons when in the RTS view
Therianwolf

Postby Flatlander » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Therianwolf wrote:Then just stay at the main console, everything is there on the UI it's just different buttons when in the RTS view

Aha, I couldn't tell that from the video.

I think I've watched the combat part 3 times now. It actually looks really nice.
Flatlander

Next

Return to Development