[Artwork] Creating the Humans

Interested in what the Devs are doing? Come take a look.

[Artwork] Creating the Humans

Postby PerfectDeath » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:37 am

With Rodrigo posting some great character sketches I thought I'd do a Creating Humans topic for the forums as well.

You can find our Creative Director Rodrigo's art work on deviant art here http://iririv.deviantart.com/gallery/

So let us start then, the sketches Rodrigo posted are of different cultures forming factions that the player will interact with in the game world. First, the survivors:

The Novus Aeterno universe occurs after a galactic apocalypse and the survivors are the ones unlucky enough to get stuck on a miserable rock when it happened. Maybe that saved them? Either way, the few that survived would create the hardy culture and faction.

They often come into contact with the feral acaeans who occupy every crack in the galaxy, fighting over the little resources they can find.

Their incredible resourcefulness makes them an interesting group when the Zealots come into picture. Those who convert themselves but continue as survivors can protect their faith with the skills they learned the hard way.

The Zealots are, themselves, a faction that had emerged from the ruins of civilization with devoted fervor to spread their faith and zeal.

The demon hunters protect the faith from the shadows:

And the Law that collapsed from the lack of a governing body was replaced by the religious law; guiding civil behaviour, not spiritual behaviour.

The Pirate Faction is one of the factions most at ends against the Zealots and find themselves against their foes on many occasions.

Renegades form a staunch resistance against the Zealot's oppression. Some may be noble, others are just chaotic.

The Beast Masters are a unique bunch who have learned not to fear or hate the Acaean Ferals, but to tame them.

The Human Fleet is composed of five ship classes:

The Corvette, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship, and Dreadnaught.

The corvette, being the smallest, is very cheap and will die easily; however, in skilled hands the corvette can outmaneuver the larger ships to keep away from their large and powerful main weapons.

The Destroyer is still a small and weak ship; however, it can hold more firepower than the corvette; while not as fast as the corvette, the Destroyer can still out run larger ships making it a great unit for quickly relocating firepower around the battlefield.

The Cruiser takes a considerable boost in health and weaponry and can be considered a great balance between speed, firepower, and survivability. However, at this point, the cruiser becomes considerably more expensive than the smaller two classes.

The Battleship is a reliable workhorse capable of bringing much firepower and armour into battle; however, it lags behind the smaller ships in terms of speed.

The Dreadnaught builds on the Battleship's strengths to an inspiring level; for a cost.

This makes the human fleet have a significant difference between the small craft and the larger craft, the small craft being much more disposable; however, their low cost and evasiveness makes them a terrifying enemy when employed in the right situations while the heavier ships can soak up a ton of punishment.

Establishing a line of Dreadnaughts and Battleships to soak up damage; using cruisers to quickly move around your defensive line to counter flanks or launch quick pushes; all while your own light ships harass the enemy's flanks is a reliable tactic that has yielded many victories for myself.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Re: [Artwork] Creating the Humans

Postby Lord Tyrius » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 am

Great, all the fantastic art at one place brought together + explanations!
Lord Tyrius

Postby Athyrio » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:30 pm

1 word

Pumped!
Athyrio

Postby Stevon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Yay, my species! :P

I really love the diversity between the different factions, and those ships look fantastic!
Stevon

Postby jocan2003 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Lots of meat here ;D
Me: Frack my brain just exploded and lost all what i was thinking about...
Employee1: Probably from trying to translate all the time
Me: Yeah i get thought BSOD when the same section of my brain process 2 thing at the same time, like CPU bad timing
jocan2003

Postby PerfectDeath » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Automatists are the most reclusive of the zealot parties. They live in a close relation to the automaton race of the Cauldron Born, whose technology they use believing to be miraculous in nature.
The Automatist culture has thus, developed in distant worlds in which the ritualized use of non-human technological relics has dispaced industrail and technological development from its key role in most contemporary human civilizations.

Posted from Rodrigo's Devient Art
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Postby PerfectDeath » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am

More from Rodrigo:
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Postby CompFreak-Eric » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 pm

I can see Borderlands influence in the Raiders. Look siiiiiick! Concept is always amazing to me and a lot of the time they look better than the final result IMO.
CompFreak-Eric

Location: Pataskala OH, middle of fields and absolute nothing

Postby PerfectDeath » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 pm

I try not to nit pick comparison comments; Borderlands has its own inspirations that are likely similar inspirations rodrigo had.

We do get lots of "Looks like [Insert recent new and popular game]" feedback. =\
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Postby CompFreak-Eric » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Not meant in a bad way. In the gaming world is almost impossible to come up with an idea that doesn't draw inspiration from somewhere whether it be another game, a movie, or some other form of media. Considering Borderlands was a very successful game could be taken as a compliment. They all look great regardless.
CompFreak-Eric

Location: Pataskala OH, middle of fields and absolute nothing

Next

Return to Development