[Development] Planet Facilities

Interested in what the Devs are doing? Come take a look.

Re: [Development] Planet Facilities

Postby Pseudo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Okay, cool.. cant wait to see how this works inside the game :-)

Edit: Bah! BB code is disabled in this forum, can't quote!
Pseudo

Postby Querulous » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 am

Whilst these look cool and are very nice, there are three things that worry me when I look at my planet facilities:
1 I dont know what they are simply by looking at the icon (So I need the names of each really written next to them, at every stage)
2 The icons are nice and sexy but see through and hard to see exactly what they are...see 1. Having the actual artwork here may be a little problematic... instead maybe if we are physically looking at the dock in space, rather than as now on the planet's building options area
3 They are see through and not simple primary colour, clear and simplistic. Simplicity is all..... thinking is bad and we have to think when we see these and interpret. When I am building things I dont need to think.

In short - love to see these in space with my ships, not so useful in facility menus (sorry)
Querulous

Postby kaimijo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:29 pm

These look amazing and the level of depth in this game makes me so happy, if I was further along in my programming classes I would love to join your development team.
kaimijo

Postby Species8472NL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

I think the same as Querulous. Maybe a nice animated icon what the kind of buildings do?

Also the screenshot shows waerhous.. Dont think its spelled correctly
Species8472NL

Postby Sypheria » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Our concept artists do not speak English as their first language. Everything you see will have spelling errors in it. It's us programmers that can spell.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby IamNaka » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 pm

[quote]Just a random pre-sleep thought when I was trolling through my unread threads..

Will players be able to pre-construct over their limit and have fully built ships "queued" for launch when the unit cap is freed up by another ships death?

Next, more of a complete random brainstorming throwing jello on the wall to see what sticks...
perhaps having such "queued" ships move out of the spaceport to a staging area (I.e. they don't stop further construction & are finished themselves)... Like putting a complete ship without a crew on the airfield waiting for the people to man it

These queued ships could be "reserves" a player maintains as low-cost (say(random number), 1/3rd operating value).. It gives players the opportunity to store ships on planet to launch for defense as needed.. Or to sacrifice their maximum fleet size to quickly replenish losses (trading max units/power for quicker recovery)... Another dynamic level to throw in that people may enjoy and build strategies around [/quote]

Sorry for bringing this up again, but if it worked like this, then the game would instantly resemble the late game mechanic of the zerg race in sc2. It's like you manage to destroy the enemy army, but they are instantly at full pop cap again, resulting in a hard counter push which is unstoppable. Now in sc2 that is not an imabalance, as zerg have multiple strong and weak phases in their game, and you simply need to pick the right moment for the fights in order to win. Such quick replenishment mechanics ought to be avoided at all costs though, even if the launch itself would take some time. It's an unfair advantage considering the nature of this game.

Oh goodness, why is BBcode off?
IamNaka

Postby CompFreak-Eric » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

If I read correctly the ship hulls/skeletons themselves cannot be built up and stored as each one has a CP cost while in contrstuction/in general. You can queue multiple ships to be but they are build one at a time and while queued take up CP. What can be stockpiled are the components that go into them (weapons, engines, sensors, cargo holds, etc) which do not take CP. With a ship taking of CP while being built it's just like a normal RTS where you queue up units but the cost is subtracted from your resources unless you cancel the construction, but it also has takes up space in your over all unit cap.

Example is Star Wars: Empire at War durign the Campaign where you can queue unti constuction on multiple planets, but each one removes Credits and takes up the appropriate number of unit slots (a Star Destroyer takes 4 unit slots while a squad of Stormtroopers takes 1). Only exception to the above example is in skirmish as you can constantly build past the unit cap but you can't bring in more units to the map than the cap allows (20-25 depending on Imperial or Rebel).

Correct me if I'm interpreting this wrong.
CompFreak-Eric

Location: Pataskala OH, middle of fields and absolute nothing

Postby IamNaka » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 pm

No, it's all good. I was merely trying to point out that the current mechanic should stay.
IamNaka

Postby PerfectDeath » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 am

Ship components can be stockpiled to reduce build times, or components can be traded and supplied by other players. The assembly time is still in effect, you do not need to pre-queue units in order to do this though, pre-queuing can automatically do some of it.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby PerfectDeath » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:55 am

So our new planet development is going along with new images and models for sector types to be constructed on your planet's surface.

Planet sectors are like specialized giant cities.

We have posted images for a few of these like:

The academy which progresses your technological development.

The factory is one we've talked about before, its a core part of your planet's output but here is the new look!
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

PreviousNext

Return to Development