Toxic Behavior - What is acceptable behavior in an MMORPG

Novus Aeterno discussions; what more needs to be said?

Re: Toxic Behavior - What is acceptable behavior in an MMORP

Postby Lord Tyrius » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:40 am

Agreed. "Soft-counter" in the sense of game mechanics are a good way to go about things. The report system in LoL is in no way what I would want/consider a role-model.
Looking to seeing how the in-game dynamics will work, including aspect like this one.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Lord Tyrius

Postby Flatlander » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 am

A few points on League of Legends Toxic:
Allowing players to select a playstyle (Such as Off-META, META-Only, Troll-Builds, and Any) would make it so you'd be more likely to be matched with people that find your playstyle acceptable.

You may see this as extreme but:
I would also make it cost IP to even ENTER a ranked match. I honestly hate that Ranked and Casual matches are basically treated the same.
If you had to pay IP to enter a ranked match, and you get 0 IP if you lose and a refund of IP if you win, then people would take it more seriously.

Also, I do not think you should be playing a ranked game while learning a new champion, (I honestly would change League-of-Legend's leveling system to be per-champion like Heroes of the Storm is, so that you need to have experience with a champion before you can play it in ranked)

I think making it so your teammates match your playstyle, and are playing a champion they know how to play, will lower toxicity by ALOT. Also, a player that is actually Toxic will have a Toxic Rating "Over 9000" and a player that is just bad in a few games and and unfairly voted as Toxic will have a small Toxic Rating. (I assume everyone will be reported as Toxic sometimes, just due to assholes and trolls)
Flatlander

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 am

Lord Tyrius wrote:
Looking to seeing how the in-game dynamics will work, including aspect like this one.

Honestly so far most of the issues discussed I don't think will apply to Hades 9. I mean is someone is being a ass, you kill him and leave, most of these toxic issues are becouse players are forced together for x time, which we don't have. Also there is no forced teams it's kind of a free for all meaning in game you can just kill the toxic players to shut then up or run from them and just get away from there toxicity.

This thread was. More a general descuseion of design vs a speaificly issue we expect in Hades 9
Nick
Suit Battle Armour Commander

Postby Flatlander » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:29 pm

"Random Player Killing" or "Constant Harrassment" of a player COULD happen in Hades 9 if some situations work.

Examples:
-----------Tracking (Hunting) other players:--------------
If in Hades 9, it was possible to somehow "Track" a player and find out where they are.
(For example, if I could add you to my friend's list, and it told me where you were) then I could easily just follow you around the entire universe attacking you and annoying you anywhere you went.

Even if you made it so a player had to "Accept" my friend's request, I could just have a friend (or 2nd account) be nice to you and add you to their Friend's List, and then just use that to know where you are.

------------Patrolling high-traffic zones------------
A 2nd option for causing normal players head-aches is PvP Players patrolling "High Traffic" zones.

A way to avoid this, is to make it so when a player uses a Worm-Hole or FTL to get to another solar-system, they appear ANYWHERE in that system.
But if you make it so they appear at a specific location, it will be really easy to ambush people going to commonly visited areas. (Expecially if it is a location that has a resource that is hard to find)

I could imagine having my guild "Guard" a system where there is a lot of Helium (or something) and just completely controlling the flow of Helium. Now this might be fine, but I think arriving in a solar system at a random location, and seeing that 14 Flagships are scanning for your location, then thinking "ok i'm getting the hell out of here, I doubt those 14 players scanning me on arrival are all friendly" is good gameplay.

------------Summary---------
Giving players a chance to prevent battles, but not allowing players to just run mid-battle, is a good happy medium in my opinion.

If I don't want to fight, it should be reasonably possible to avoid it if I play smart. But if I fight and start losing, I shouldn't be able to just FTL away and be free.
Flatlander

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Flatlander wrote:"Random Player Killing" or "Constant Harrassment" of a player COULD happen in Hades 9 if some situations work.

Examples:
-----------Tracking (Hunting) other players:--------------
If in Hades 9, it was possible to somehow "Track" a player and find out where they are.
(For example, if I could add you to my friend's list, and it told me where you were) then I could easily just follow you around the entire universe attacking you and annoying you anywhere you went.

Even if you made it so a player had to "Accept" my friend's request, I could just have a friend (or 2nd account) be nice to you and add you to their Friend's List, and then just use that to know where you are.

I don't think showing friends location is necessary, if you want to know if you can ask what system they are in. and they can decide whether to answer, maybe they found something they don't want people to know about.

Flatlander wrote:------------Patrolling high-traffic zones------------
A 2nd option for causing normal players head-aches is PvP Players patrolling "High Traffic" zones.

A way to avoid this, is to make it so when a player uses a Worm-Hole or FTL to get to another solar-system, they appear ANYWHERE in that system.
But if you make it so they appear at a specific location, it will be really easy to ambush people going to commonly visited areas. (Expecially if it is a location that has a resource that is hard to find)

I could imagine having my guild "Guard" a system where there is a lot of Helium (or something) and just completely controlling the flow of Helium. Now this might be fine, but I think arriving in a solar system at a random location, and seeing that 14 Flagships are scanning for your location, then thinking "ok i'm getting the hell out of here, I doubt those 14 players scanning me on arrival are all friendly" is good gameplay.

Our solution to this is when you exit a gate it releases a MASSIVE energy discharge, damaging and stunning ships in the general area around the gate, giving you the chance to jump right back out if you want to. also discouraging directly camping gates however still allowing alliances to lock down ownership of a system. This makes the map feel alot more dynamic, main highways are regularly blocked and you must find other roots.
Nick
Suit Battle Armour Commander

Previous

Return to General