What Do you Want to See?

Novus Aeterno discussions; what more needs to be said?

Re: What Do you Want to See?

Postby Johnm81 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:41 pm

Therianwolf wrote:I will play Devils advocate here and defend their reasoning with a few questions. Can we, with our current level of technology see other stars? Can we tell if these stars have planets? Can we tell what these planets are "generally" composed off? Can we take all these observation, estimations, and assumptions and create a 3d representation of what that system would look like in "real time" (relativity speaking) and then project this animated image into a display? With all that in mind is it conceivable that in 1000 years or more humanity might be able to "see" these planets as they are?

I am not saying we shouldn't be able to see those stars in some view modes. But not the mode where I am looking at my ship at a certain scale and see another star system at a scale that is not reasonable. And if 'all' the views of this game are just a simulation then I would further ask why would a simulation feed me useless data such as a sun in another star system when I am utilizing a POV and scale magnification that is intended to let me fine tune fleet information during a battle or inspect hull damage on a ship?

Furthermore, instructing the game server to feed less data to my client may even save on bandwidth and improve performance in large scale battles a small amount.

Show me the star systems when I am in the top down solar system view, at least that would make sense and be useful if this is a simulation, but not when i'm zoomed into my ships and planets. Makes very little sense if the view is purely a simulation and even less if its not.
Player Name: Mikros
ScydiS Alliance
Johnm81

Postby Lightmoore » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:17 am

I do agree that the star systems seem way to close to each other and need to be at lest faked up so that they seem farther away in system view, but we could all be living in the core of the Universe and stars are closer together there. Watch out for that Black Hole.
Lightmoore

Postby Sypheria » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:07 am

The server doesn't send you solar system data unless your camera goes to those solar systems.
So your just seeing what you've already looked at and the client is retaining.

We probably will be hiding them soon.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Cut123 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Will Antimatter be making an appearance as an energy source? And will there be any WMDs?
Cut123

Postby Sypheria » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Nukes are weak. NA hulls can withstand them with no issues.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby Therianwolf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Azzeral wrote:What a novel idea. I like the idea of people forming their own comity (in the alliance system) where people put through legislation and vote. This could be supported through the alliance system with a flexible system to legislate. We could then have warnings to players in the alliance that they are breaking allied law.

This is already sort of a thing that is in the works on the players end, there are I think three threads on the alliance forum dedicated to this very idea and there is a "contract" that has been created for when this becomes possible

Johnm81 wrote:big bunch of stuff that you can easily scroll up and read.

OH! Ok so your point is more about scale and "realistic" distance between systems... Fair enough, I submit to your point and agree with you. I love it but this is probably not do able in reality, at least not without cheating a little. Let's say the systems are physically as close as they most likely will end up being (current distance assumed to be not the final distance), instead you just make it "invisible" or just not viewable from the camera while within a system. Once you move outside the system or zoom out to a set distance *POP* the rest of the Galaxy becomes visible, this I would love

Sypheria wrote:Nukes are weak. NA hulls can withstand them with no issues.

Also fun science fact, concussive explosive that rely on expanding gasses (aka nukes) in space are practically useless due to the fact that energy will always take the shortest and quickest route, in the case of space it would be the vacuum over say a metallic object. The same goes for heat and to a far lesser degree radiation... yes I'm aware heat is a form of radiation but radiation fucking shit up requires far less then radiation heating something to a melting point. So nukes would be less effective then say an airsoft gun firing something of equal mass
Last edited by Therianwolf on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Cut123 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:44 am

Sypheria wrote:Nukes are weak. NA hulls can withstand them with no issues.

I didn't mean nukes. Any NA created WMD's. Like for instance a device that could cause a sun to supernova, or a planet to implode (or explode). Maybe one that could turn a certain type of sun into a black hole. Instead of a nuke, could there be an Antimatter Dispersal Bomb (Antimatter, when it comes into contact with matter, creates a big boom.) that uses the same volatility system that was just talked about in the dev blog?
Cut123

Postby Huginn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:45 am

Cut123 wrote:
I didn't mean nukes. Any NA created WMD's. Like for instance a device that could cause a sun to supernova, or a planet to implode (or explode). Maybe one that could turn a certain type of sun into a black hole. Instead of a nuke, could there be an Antimatter Dispersal Bomb (Antimatter, when it comes into contact with matter, creates a big boom.) that uses the same volatility system that was just talked about in the dev blog?

There will be weapons and so on dealing different system damages. What Novus Æterno will deliver will come in tons of different versions and types.

However system-wide destruction is decided to not be plausible. Lorewise races find habitable planets too valuable to do it that way.

Thousands of weapons per race.
Huginn

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:39 am

Cut123 wrote:I didn't mean nukes. Any NA created WMD's. Like for instance a device that could cause a sun to supernova, or a planet to implode (or explode). Maybe one that could turn a certain type of sun into a black hole. Instead of a nuke, could there be an Antimatter Dispersal Bomb (Antimatter, when it comes into contact with matter, creates a big boom.) that uses the same volatility system that was just talked about in the dev blog?

Another Funny science fact, we already have star destroying "weapons" it's called iron, we just lack the ability or tech to get it into the core of a star but if you did... BOOM! It's a goner. I love the idea of an antimatter shotgun like effect or I suppose a antimatter fragmentation grenade
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby ante185 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Therianwolf wrote:I love the idea of an antimatter shotgun like effect or I suppose a antimatter fragmentation grenade

Kinda like a flak cannon? shoots a projectile, misses, then boom it explodes propelling smaller projectiles in a circular or cone'd direction, either way "flak" weaponry would be quite cool as you can give it some personality, like minimum arming range, the pattern the sub-munition makes and subsequently how they behave!
Realised something about myself, caused me a personal crisis and gave me w new hobby. Now I need how to draw fml
ante185

PreviousNext

Return to General