What Do you Want to See?

Novus Aeterno discussions; what more needs to be said?

Re: What Do you Want to See?

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 pm

ante185 wrote:Kinda like a flak cannon? shoots a projectile, misses, then boom it explodes propelling smaller projectiles in a circular or cone'd direction, either way "flak" weaponry would be quite cool as you can give it some personality, like minimum arming range, the pattern the sub-munition makes and subsequently how they behave!

Works though something I didn't mention before would be how antimatter in space would probably be done visual/effect wise. Acid... Basically, we're talking about what would amount to a mist of reactive material, explosive... yes. Contained? No. So the visual would be a mist of matter (appearing to be matter but molecularly, antimatter) that ignites like a flame thrower upon contact with a hull. The damage would be much like the effect of napalm on organic. Initial damage and then damage over time do to the energy release. I'm sorry I cannot help but over think shit like this.
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Postby Cut123 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Therianwolf wrote:Works though something I didn't mention before would be how antimatter in space would probably be done visual/effect wise. Acid... Basically, we're talking about what would amount to a mist of reactive material, explosive... yes. Contained? No. So the visual would be a mist of matter (appearing to be matter but molecularly, antimatter) that ignites like a flame thrower upon contact with a hull. The damage would be much like the effect of napalm on organic. Initial damage and then damage over time do to the energy release. I'm sorry I cannot help but over think shit like this.

Actually, antimatter, when it comes into contact with matter, just produces a big boom, no residual acid effects, just a really big boom. So yes, a flack cannon type of device is very intriguing, but instead of an acid effect, just have an uber powerful initial blast. This weapon would have to be very time consuming and expensive to produce, due to the difficulties of producing antiatoms and sustaining them long enough to use in battle.
Cut123

Postby Therianwolf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:47 am

Cut123 wrote:Actually, antimatter, when it comes into contact with matter, just produces a big boom, no residual acid effects, just a really big boom. So yes, a flack cannon type of device is very intriguing, but instead of an acid effect, just have an uber powerful initial blast. This weapon would have to be very time consuming and expensive to produce, due to the difficulties of producing antiatoms and sustaining them long enough to use in battle.

I think You misunderstood my words, not sure if that's my own folly or not but people tend to misunderstand me so I'll take the blame. I know how antimatter reacts, in a extremely basic way it's +1 -1 = 0 and E=MC^2... I know this but we're talking about a vacuum... and a video game. Also in this antimatter weapon scenario we are talking about antimatter particles that are essentially aerosolized. The "shrapnel" would range anywhere in size from a single molecule to the size of a car (less likely on that car one further from the "barrel"). Your not gonna get a single "really big boom" but rather innumerable amounts of smaller ones, so my visual description would be more accurate to what it would appear to the naked eye... Well ok far more light... A lot of light actually. Gamma rays, neutrinos and other smaller mass particles would be your "explosion" and that shit would probably be attracted to the now HIGHLY charged hull and THAT would result in an acid like effect. Not REAL acid, I'm not an idiot here acid is simply the easiest way to describe a visual event that has never been observed. It would look like one blinding light show but once things settled the remaining hull would have the appearance of being the victim of an extremely acidic attack. Toss thermite on a metal plate and you would have the same effect. There done... I hate having to expand on something, sorry everyone else for the long winded explanation.

Final note, you would also have a fuck ton of splash back and would probably end up getting hit by your own weapon... Actually most of it would splash back, best aim for the enemy ship at their rear or in the middle of their fleet as that would be a REALLY nasty weapon then.
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Previous

Return to General