What do you think of the new volatility system?

Novus Aeterno discussions; what more needs to be said?

Re: What do you think of the new volatility system?

Postby Silligoose » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:02 pm

I'll go for the stronger, more volatile components - high risk, high reward (hopefully). I am wondering if this will be implemented in the CP system to a degree, for example, there let's say different models of a beam, bith have equal CP cost - one beam has less DPM, while at the same time also having less volatility, while a variant of that same beam may have more DPM, but also more volatility. In that way, the player has the decision to make - high damage at a greater risk of explosion, or lower damage, with less inherent risk.

My initial fears are being dampened with the news that Varu'nas will be affected differently by shockwave and knockback (I imagine I read they get buffs from being near allies when dying?). I'll run the risk of assuming the same may hold true for the other races yet to come, so more diversity in terms of different races as well, or would I be erring?
Silligoose

Postby Sypheria » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Every race will have their own unique mechanic. Veru'nas just get more powerful in battle as units die and have immunity to the blast damage/knockback.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby ELECTROVAMP » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Sypheria wrote:Dreadnoughts should never die. We want players to retreat if their losing.
As we add in more systems like officers, crafting, trade/research and aging ships, retreating will prevent a lot of financial and time losses.

Sypheria wrote:Every race will have their own unique mechanic. Veru'nas just get more powerful in battle as units die and have immunity to the blast damage/knockback.

PerfectDeath wrote:Silligoose, we will also implement two "HP pools" systems integrity (SI) and hull integrity (HI).

Systems Integrity will be the value ships have right now; however, when it runs out the ship dies leaving a hulk behind. No huge explosion.

Hull Integrity will be considerably higher (like x10) than SI, as HI gets lower (below 50%) there will be a chance that the ship will explode when hit that increases as the ship's HI gets lower.

The SI will be repairable in space, but HI is repairable from a shipyard. So it is a way to create risk for a player deploying a fleet for a prolonged period of time.

Sounds fascintaing :razz: I am very impatient for this game.
ELECTROVAMP

Postby AmonSvaag » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Developer Blog#36.

We appreciate all the feedback from this thread *link*.

In stead of working on the things that you guys gave feedback on, we're going to throw a curve ball and introduce a tempered down version of a system we did away with a long time ago. For the lulz, mostly, but isn't it cool!

Really guys, the #1 issue was persistency, #2 issue was UI, #3 issue was economics. Did Volitility even get mentioned in that thread?
AmonSvaag

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:43 am

AmonSvaag wrote:Developer Blog#36.

We appreciate all the feedback from this thread *link*.

In stead of working on the things that you guys gave feedback on, we're going to throw a curve ball and introduce a tempered down version of a system we did away with a long time ago. For the lulz, mostly, but isn't it cool!

Really guys, the #1 issue was persistency, #2 issue was UI, #3 issue was economics. Did Volatility even get mentioned in that thread?

The dev blog is just explaining how volatility will work, not that it is being implemented right now, because game designers design gameplay, they cannot fix persistency so we work in parallel, wile the engineers are working on persistency we are working on designing features to be added in later to the To-Do list.
Nick
Suit Battle Armour Commander

Postby AmonSvaag » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:08 am

Nick wrote:The dev blog is just explaining how volatility will work, not that it is being implemented right now, because game designers design gameplay, they cannot fix persistency so we work in parallel, wile the engineers are working on persistency we are working on designing features to be added in later to the To-Do list.

Oh, I realise. Just thought the wording on the dev blog was funny, in that they directly linked the thread of suggestions to a non-suggestion.

Wasn't trying to be toxic, just satyrical.
AmonSvaag

Postby Sypheria » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 am

Technically, Veru'nas were mentioned in the thread and volatility is a core Veru'nas mechanic. ^_^

So uhhhh.... Veru'nas confirmed? :D
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Postby Lord Tyrius » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:18 am

Haven't Verunas been confirmed a while ago (http://novusaeterno.com/?p=614)?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Need anything or have any questions? Drop me a message! (Click)
Follow me on Twitch|YouTube|Twitter
- Cheers!, Tyrius
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Lord Tyrius

Postby Huginn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Lord Tyrius wrote:Haven't Verunas been confirmed a while ago (http://novusaeterno.com/?p=614)?

Been confirmed since we passed the stretch goal at the kickstarter. And even before, including that page you link and i quote...

At the Art Dep we are excited to announce that that the first Verunas fleet is ready to get put into the game

Wouldnt say they are ready to be put in the game. And the models might've changed. I wish they retained the visuals of the concept art of Phoenix. Especially the Hive Class Capital Ship.

It is a shame if we end up loosing all of these amazing looking ships. I had Verunas perfectly sculpted in my mind how they would look like.

Ribs. The Ribs! We need ships with structural integrity Ribs! Curses upon thee! Phoenix might've not done his job, but what he did while doing it was amazing!
Huginn

Postby Sypheria » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:58 pm

I know. I am, and always have been, the lead dev after all. =P
Sypheria
Universe Architect

PreviousNext

Return to General