Ship design and customization

Novus Aeterno discussions; what more needs to be said?

Ship design and customization

Postby CompFreak-Eric » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Correct me if this is in the wrong place.

From what I've read and seen in the vid's on the site, it sounds like the ships in game will have their own layer of customization, but how in depth is the designer? Is there a base design for each ship class for each race and then we simply design what the payload is for (ie weapons, defenses, etc) or will the choices that we make along those lines affect the way the ship looks? Is there a way to take different modules or hull sections and design a ship that looks unique?

From what I could see in the video it looked like just weapons, shields and the sort could be varied on a standard model.
CompFreak-Eric

Location: Pataskala OH, middle of fields and absolute nothing

Re: Ship design and customization

Postby PerfectDeath » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:17 pm

So right now I have ten different "models" (not 3D textured models) of each of the ship classes:
they go from Mk.I ("Mark One") to Mk.X ("Mark Ten")
Corvette Mk.I to Corvette Mk.X
Destroyer Mk.I to Destroyer Mk.X
Cruiser Mk.I to Cruiser Mk.xX
Battleship Mk.I to Battleship Mk.X
Dreadnaught Mk.I to Dreadnaught Mk.X

Each model has different slot orientations generally they will be themes like so:

Mark One - Focused on frontal combat; +1 front weapon slot; large amount of frontal armour; less side and rear armour.
Mark Two - Focused on side combat; +1 left and right weapon slots; less front armour, more side armour.
Mark Three - +30% More health; no additional slots ; balanced distribution of armour.
Mark Four - More bays (varies from +2 to +7 bays); -1 left and right weapon slot.
Mark Five - No additional slots; balanced armour; very low critical failure chances; lower production costs and times.
Mark Six - More engine slots (+2 engine slots); greater engine critical failure chance.
Mark Seven - More shield slots (+2 shields).
Mark Eight - More utility slots (+2 to 4 utilities).
Mark Nine - High End model that costs more; +30% more health, +1 to +3 side weapon slots; more armour on all directions.
Mark Ten - High End model that costs more; +1 front weapon; +1 to +2 utility slots; large amount of frontal armour; less side and rear armour.

The parts you put on these ships, at launch, will have no aesthetic visuals on the hull itself.
We may make each Mark have a slightly different 3D model and texture to represent their specialization.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby CompFreak-Eric » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Awesome. So does each Mk include the slots that it has plus the previous Mk's? Like does a Mk 2 have the Mk 2 slots plus the Mk 1 slots, essentially having the slots stack?
CompFreak-Eric

Postby Sypheria » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:14 pm

No, every make is unique.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby CompFreak-Eric » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Ah-ha, gotcha. Awesome. Really looking forward to the designer. Will most likely waste/spend a lot of time with that.
CompFreak-Eric

Postby PerfectDeath » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:28 am

only the two "high end" Mks stack the specialties of some other Mks.
support@taitale.com - kickstarter@taitale.com
I try to be on our Steam Chat as often as possible.
PerfectDeath
Lore Master

Location: Everytime an infiltrator masterbates, Sypheria crashes the server.

Postby Aurora Imperium » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Have any of our developers looked into the customization of Gratuitous Space Battles? If so, how does it differ from Novus Aeterno's ship customization. If not, it has a good concept of balanced customization with few limitations to allow the player to come up with various designs and strategies. Anyways, any more new details on ship customization? Any ideas sought to be implemented after launch?
Dawn of an Empire
Aurora Imperium

Postby Aetherblade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:59 pm

heh :P never thought about GSB.. It's indeed a fair bit similair to that! Which is, I agree, a good thing. that game was pretty awesome because of it.
Guide to the game:
Link
Game tutorial videos: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2901

Want to keep up to date on the playtesting / server status, or just talk to the developers? The steam group is a good way to get in touch! We are always in chat on Thursdays and often on the days as well to talk with you guys about whatever :). Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NovusA ... filtrators
Aetherblade

Postby LandariOmega » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 pm

"The parts you put on these ships, at launch, will have no aesthetic visuals on the hull itself.
We may make each Mark have a slightly different 3D model and texture to represent their specialization."

That idea doesn't sound too bad actually. Not sure if anybody is familiar with EvE Online, but there is a class of ship called Strategic Cruisers. They all have the same base hull and function, but they can be specialized for certain roles and the hull shape changes accordingly while keeping the "soul" of the ship intact. For example, they each have different propulsion system modules you can mount and they provide a different aesthetic look to the rear end of the ship. The Tengu (one of the ship classes) may have many different setups, but you can still tell its a Tengu. Video below to show what I mean.

Skip to :40 to skip past the EvE related stuff to the ship fittings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvqNLGsgV98

I don't know if you want to go that far with the physical alterations, but for the Mark I or Mark II for example could have a clunkier, beefier look with some additional external armor plating on the front and sides or for the Mark VI add more secondary engine clusters to the back of the Mark V model. I would be just as satisfied with these little model changes as I would be with a complete spaceship build-your-own burger type of deal. That would be fun too :p
LandariOmega

Postby AshesToAshes » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 pm

So each ship class of each race will have 10 models, thats awsm great job :). I wanted to know what are the options of "refitting" a ship if you for example just lost a fleet, a few remaining older model ships remain with veteran crews, can you have them docked and out of the fight for a while while being rearmed with more powerful weapons shields and engines that you have recently researched? And maybe something like field modifications, certain small upgrades in a ship's inner systems that is shuttled by a any ship and sent to a place where there is a fight and you customize or upgrade one of your capital ships for example, i think that would add an interesting twist.
From the Ashes we all rise, And to the Ashes we all shall return.
AshesToAshes

Location: Cairo, Egypt {and yes i'm serious and no we dont ride camels everywhere}

Next

Return to General