How are you making sure Verunas are not OP?

QQ to your hearts content and we'll take a look at its legitimacy.

How are you making sure Verunas are not OP?

Postby IAMAstone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:49 pm

I know you are not planning on releasing with all the races playable in-game, but from what I've read the Verunas are supposed to be the most physically powerful and technologically advanced race. And their drawback is being little in numbers. But since every player is allowed to have the same supply/food/units (however it is being measured) then how do the Verunas stay balanced when their low numbers are the 'lore' balancing factor but that cannot really be the game-play balancing factor. Or can it?

Hit me with some knowledge!
IAMAstone

Re: How are you making sure Verunas are not OP?

Postby Lutcikaur » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Maby each race has their own unit cap? using random numbers, humans get a max of 40, Verunas get 20, and a zerg like race get 80?
If (strcmp(in,"working") == 0){ procrastinate(); }
Lutcikaur

Postby IAMAstone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:36 pm

I was thinking about this intensely while in the shower after posting and I figured maybe the Verunas are meant to be the best fighters and very ruthless/proud race, and maybe they lack the ability to be as diplomatic and are not as good at trade/alliances/governance?

Or maybe, a maxed Verunas fleet is meant to beat any other fleet with equal micro. but they rebuild slower take longer to get that max fleet? because they just have less numbers and need time to populate. and other races have less powerful fleets but rebuild quicker and max quicker so they can hold off a Verunas with little trouble. Similar to how a Mech Terran army plays againsts a 300food Zerg army?

But these are just some random thoughts.
IAMAstone

Postby Sypheria » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Just because you are human does not mean you cannot use alien species units. It just means you cannot make use of their racial abilities and it will take longer to unlock them.
Sypheria
Universe Architect

Location: WinSock.h ln 458 #define AF_UNKNOWN1 20 /*Somebodys using this! */

Postby IAMAstone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Knowledge! Thanks Sypheria

That's makes a lot more sense and fills in a lot possible balancing problems.
IAMAstone

Postby BattleWolf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:22 pm

On the subject if you mind my input you can think of them as an over ripened fruit. There advances in physical ability's as well as high intelligence and pride make them the weakest because the way I see it. They have no intuition what so ever, their scientists are limited in views on what they come up with so they suffer penalty's when coming up with new tech and even then if they come up with something similar to another species it would be less effective in battle. Strategic wise their pride at certain times in battle will cause them to go to a frenzy thus disobeying their controller and performing their own actions.

although stamina and resiliency may be in there favor their weaknesses will get them killed and wiped off the universe. Also low birth rate some options will be blocked until the player can successfully change their views and lessen the amount of pride they have especially if they're attacked a lot and lose every battle the get into for a while.

any good?

Member of Jester

The neat thing is not that I play tricks for you, it's that you play tricks for me.
BattleWolf

Postby najatuw4646 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:44 am

that cannot really be the game-play balancing factor. Or can it?
najatuw4646

Postby Therianwolf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 pm

From what I understand just because your RACE has the power to cleanse the universe of all human life doesn't mean the elders will give a fuck. In terms of game play each race as a different method of advancing in technology. Humans research, verunas must prove they deserve to have access to it. We as human have atomic power but does that mean every human deserves to have direct access to plutonium or uranium? Fuck no. At least that's how I understand how it works for novus, you as a player are like a child to the verunas as a whole and therefore don't have the superior tech until they feel you earned the right
Howl to the king
Therianwolf

Return to Balancing